Sintesi Hale-Bopp - 1997

Well the HOPE BB I wanted to use feels as rough, so will have to find a new plan for that, maybe steal a royce from one of the cyclocross bikes.

Still havent sorted out which chainset I'm going to use.

Choices are
XTR M900 175mm with Pace 26 and 48 rings, and some other fancy middle ring @ 36 teeth. But really a 48 big ring is too much, needs a 44 really. This is currently on the Kona

XT slightly newer M737 175mm with 94 BCD, but no rings at all on these cranks

LX that was on the Kona until the middle ring wore out, so would need a new middle ring its a 26/36/46 setup.

However I have nicked the USE seatpost and Flite Ti from the carbon and dropped that onto this frame, I think its suits it :)

More progress, and I'm afraid more modern.

Brakes now working, fresh fluid but old pads.

Once the cranks and BB arrive and get fitted everything else will be fitable (pedals, front mech, chain) and I'll be able to test it.

Suspect terst Friday, and then go on the retrokbike ride Sat - here

Retro Hope next to modern X9

Disk tabs? Surely later than '97... I thought that was when mine was from!

Good to see another one being riden.

Dont use the M900 cranks on it...the frame is much newer than that (and I am after buying some M900 cranks!)

BG":t6t6ezjy said:

As far as I knew the Hale Bopp was a 1997 only bike? I'm not sure of the exact year. I did mail Sintesi mainly asking about getting a spare rear mech hanger - but no reply.

Cranks - kept with 9 speed, but parcel farce haven't delivered them, the M900 are being left on the Kona. Unless I can sort something out for that. All the other stuff is incomplete.

Wont get it tested this weekend, due to Parcel Farce! :( Not happy, they said attempted delivery yesterday when we were in, and have left the cranks 35miles away in Manchester rather than at a local post office.

BG":3k9nnvit said:

As far as I knew the Hale Bopp was a 1997 only bike? I'm not sure of the exact year. I did mail Sintesi mainly asking about getting a spare rear mech hanger - but no reply.

Cranks - kept with 9 speed, but parcel farce haven't delivered them, the M900 are being left on the Kona. Unless I can sort something out for that. All the other stuff is incomplete.

Wont get it tested this weekend, due to Parcel Farce! :( Not happy, they said attempted delivery yesterday when we were in, and have left the cranks 35miles away in Manchester rather than at a local post office.

Well got it all together but still a lot to do.

First off on the test ride the headset came loose, and then I buggered the star fangled nut so bolt a bolt-through.

Then on test ride number 2 the rear mech hanger snapped. I've mailed some European Sintesi dealers (as couldnt find any in UK) to see if I can mail order a spare :(

Have discovered the bars are too narrow, and my position on the bike is all wrong. Going to try a few bar/stem configurations, maybe riser bars as I'm pretty sure they need to be higher and wider.

However it does feel light, nimble and chuckable which should suit what I'm using it for.

Attachments

• DSC_0661a.JPG
    DSC_0661a.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,723
That hanger looks to be a relatively common one. You should be able to find one which fits if you can't get one from Sintesi

'97 may have been the first year the model appeared, but it's been there more than once or twice since - not easy to find information about the brand, but I've seen pictures on the internet in a couple of different colour combinations and graphics styles. Ask and Old-Man Google will provide some answers.

Back