shimano servo wave and mega 9 drive?

weps

Devout Dirtbag
a couple questions about these products. servo wave brake levers and the mega 9 drive. are there any generalizations that can be made about them? are they consumer buzzwords or viable technologies? what era? the drivetrain stuff looks fairly new. mega 9 shifters. xt long rear. some kind of well worn deore crankset. all cobbled together on an old frame. the shifters seem way too gizmodo for me. can anyone put this stuff in a retro perspective. im also wondering about rear hub spacing?

servo-wave brake levers had a widget that changed the mount of cable pull I think to increase the braking leverage and hence power. The really cool ones hadlittle windows through which you could see the servo-wave cam thing.

mega-9 usually comes on lower end bikes and refers to the fact that the largest sprocket on the cassette is mahoosive in order for beginners to climb hills.

Both are marketing speak.

Servo-wave XT Levers!!! That little widget always used to snap off leaving the nipple of the brake cable stranded next to the adjuster, hence, no brakes!

Mega-9 is actually the moniker for ALL Shimano 9 speed drivetrains, you are thinking if Megarange with a rear mech that nearly touches the ground and a big sprocket like a dinner plate!

Bikeshopowner":2o1smwhe said:
Mega-9 is actually the moniker for ALL Shimano 9 speed drivetrains, you are thinking if Megarange with a rear mech that nearly touches the ground and a big sprocket like a dinner plate!

i'll have to look at the brakes again, but the shifters definitely have mega 9 drive on them. along with some kind of red line to indicate gear i guess. kind of like an automatic transmission. maybe i can get a pic.

Back