Proflex Elastomer question

seeeth

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I'm trying to rebuild my proflex 455. For the rear shock I am using a stacked round cut-outs from a truck innertube. I saw this fix on another post.

Why question is this. There is a small white plastic disc about a centimeter wide and half a cent in height. I was wondering what this is and were it originally was on the shock. it looks like it may have been pressed inside of one of the yellow elastomers, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any info. Also if anyone know the height of the original elastomers that would be great so I'd know how many rubber discs to put in.

it's a proflex 455

I have a 555.............I'll have a measure and a look at the rear stack, if they are similar (think I've got the manual somewhere as well).
I do also have a set of Rapid Descent elastomers which I may be persuaded to part with, if ye are interested......... ;)

Thanks. That would be great. I have all the pieces I need now I'm just waiting to put it all back together. I think for now I'll stick with the rubber discs I cut out. One because I'm low on funds and two because I spent about three hours cutting those little bastards out so I feel compelled to use them.

Looking forward to any info you can come up with. I appreciate it.

I'll put up some pics in a minute

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just had a look and dug out the manuals- has the rear strut setup for all the 1995 bikes- I'll scan the 455 stuff when I get a chance termorrer and let ye have the pics...........IIRC the white washery-bushy thing goes either at the end of the stack, or right in the middle where the plastic spacer is between the elastomers........I think it may be at the lower end, to stop the elastomer 'locking' the guide tube under compression- I'll see if I can get pics for ye as well of the stack on mine.

Cheers,
Dav

<edit> The Landrover bump stops look like a very good low cost remedy........ye can boast as well that the shocks are built with Land Rover Technology!! :p

Here are two pics. One shows the discs being cut out. The other is the what they look like stacked with the shock.

Still need to find out what that white piece is. And how high to make each stack

Attachments

• disc1.jpg
    disc1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 2,788
Thanks guys. And Lysander I think you may be right about it being at the bottom to keeping it moving smoothly with compression.

were you able to get a elastomer height? Thanks again.

A quick measure of the ones I have here is 40mm and 32mm= 72mm total for the leastomer units- I'll get a better measurement from my actual bike tommorrow- I'm sure the ones on there are slightly different.

Interesting, I have a Proflex with tired elastomers and I've tried to come up with a solution. Fellow RetroBikers pointed me in the direction of the Land Rover shocks, I think I'll go that route. 1" might not be much but it's more than I get from my petrified elastomers and it's cheap enough to make cutting dozens of discs from innertube seem like a chore ;) You could wrap the stack of discs in a neoprene sock like this to tidy it up a bit:
fr707y02.jpg

Back