Powder Coating preparation

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm gunna have a frame powder coated for the first time. What sort of preparation do I need to take regarding threads? Anything else I should be made aware of?

Also can I spray over the powder coat? lol not the whole frame obviously but I wouldn't mind adding some accent colour out of a rattle can, for example picking out the headtube in a different colour.

Just make sure there is no oil or grease on it anywhere . The coater will give it a light media blast even if you gave it to him in bare metal and getting any kind of grease in his blasting cabinet won't make him happy . Hopefully he will see the threaded areas and realise they need masking before he starts to coat it but its worth mentioning , also worth noting things like brake posts because they aren't always obviously left bare .

Just got a frame powder coated for the first time. People I used did all the work, I just handed over the frame. Lovely job they did too! :cool:

when i had mine done i didnt think about threads untill the coater mentioned it. he asked what needed masking, i told him. sadly he forgot the rear mech hanger.

you can paint over powder, just key the surface first

Can 'areas' of a bike be touched up professionally?

My Stumpjumper has a few chips mainly around the back end (drop outs, chainstay and a bit of rubbing around the rear brake area).

I have touched it up with a touch up stick from Halfords and it looks fine, but I'm just thinking later down the line to get it mint again. Didnt want the hassle of fully stripping the bike.

Latest posts

Back