will a brake booster help my flexy SIDs?

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Running a disc on my recently TFtuned SIDs and wondering if fitting a Brodie brake booster to my redundant v-brake bosses will help reduce their flex a little? Has any tried this? From what I can see the flex is added to (or caused by) a little play where stanchion enters lower, round the seals. I have fitted a strong cro-mo front QR to see if this'll help too

SIDs are flexy. That's about the end of it. Depending on how motivated you are there are a few things you could try.
->New bushes, add two bushes in the lower position (or use the replacement double height one). If you have any play you need these anyhow. Ensure you use the taller Judy bushes rather than the original narrow SID ones.
->Swap the SID lower for a relatively taller Judy lower.

However since you mention disc brakes that might well take it out of being 'retro'. In which case if flex is a big issue for you perhaps consider biting the bullet and buying a new fork like a FOX.

John":2dqrtiuc said:
SIDs are flexy. That's about the end of it. Depending on how motivated you are there are a few things you could try.
->New bushes, add two bushes in the lower position (or use the replacement double height one). If you have any play you need these anyhow. Ensure you use the taller Judy bushes rather than the original narrow SID ones.

However since you mention disc brakes that might well take it out of being 'retro'. In which case if flex is a big issue for you perhaps consider biting the bullet and buying a new fork like a FOX.

Hmmm, thanks John. I'll still give the booster a try (worth a punt!) but from what you're saying I'm stuck with the flex. After spending this much on getting them serviced I'm loathe to either selling them on or attempting to work on them myself (just too wary of messing them up) but you may be right about a newer fork being needed. And yes, the bike is now far from retro with it's hydr front disc and 27 speed inc. external BB :oops: :LOL:

Dead Rats":37m22mn4 said:
John":37m22mn4 said:

Hmmm, thanks John. I'll still give the booster a try (worth a punt!) but from what you're saying I'm stuck with the flex. After spending this much on getting them serviced I'm loathe to either selling them on or attempting to work on them myself (just too wary of messing them up) but you may be right about a newer fork being needed. And yes, the bike is now far from retro with it's hydr front disc and 27 speed inc. external BB :oops: :LOL:

Who serviced them? Sounds like the bushes are worn if there is any play at all. I'd expect this to be picked up during the service.

TFtuned did them early last year and they have not seen much action since for various reasons, certainly not anything more than light XC. Think I should drop them a line?

I don't think TF would have screwed up

Are they older SIDS as older models had smaller dia stanchions which flex more

Neil G":3rd0y0qv said:

bingo, they are 2000 I think with the 28mm stanchions. I agree with you about TFT, they did the best they could (one thing they couldn't fix was rebound adjustment so they set it fixed based on my riding weight) and the forks are lovely apart from the flexing.

I'm gonna try the booster, no doubt in vain, and will report findings here as soon as I've been for a spin

Neil G":3apa1tf8 said:

TF have a pretty good rep so I'd also be surprised if they'd messed up. However it does sound like play in the bushes. When you rock the bike on the front fork does it feel like the headset is knocking (assuming the headset is correctly adjusted).

Anyhow since these are modern SIDs I'm moving out of retro chat.

When did SIDs move to a larger leg?

what about using a thicker QR or bolt through[is that possible for sids],something like 10 or 12mm fun bolts :?
Along with a brace at the top

John":3npoy17y said:
Neil G":3npoy17y said:

TF have a pretty good rep so I'd also be surprised if they'd messed up. However it does sound like play in the bushes. When you rock the bike on the front fork does it feel like the headset is knocking (assuming the headset is correctly adjusted).

Anyhow since these are modern SIDs I'm moving out of retro chat.

When did SIDs move to a larger leg?

dunno when that happened, fairly recently I think... but the play you described is spot on (I double checked and the headset is fine)

Latest posts

Back