errr, hello?

Back2Bikes

Dirt Disciple
Normally I lurk for a while before chipping in. However . . .

I am a little nervous about this one, so I will chuck my hat in thro' the door first & see what happens.

I run a Charity bike recycling forum in Stafford (it's between Birmingham & Manchester) with the aim of preventing unwanted bikes ending up in landfill, encouraging low cost cycling & offering volunteer opportunities for those who find it difficult to get paid work.

So my expertise in retro bikes is not that high & is not focussed in one area. BUT, I do get stuff donated or recovered off scrap bikes that may be of interest to people on here, so perhaps we can help each other. Bear in mind that the things I get may not always be in good condition, but will be useable.

Anyway, that's a bit about me & why I have joined. I will try to understand how your forum operates before posting any offers. Please feel free to flame me (I am used to it on other special interest fora) if you dislike my "blatant advertising" - I just wanted to be completely open & up front & declare my interest. It was a satisfied customer that thought I might like it on here & might find a home for some of my more esoteric bikes & bits.

Google my user name if you want to know more about us & what we do.

Hi and welcome,

Anybody who saves bikes from landfill is more than welcome!

Am i right in thinking you will be selling bikes that have been recovered for charity / profit? I don't see any problem with that, and if you post what you have in the for sale section, even if it's bits of bikes with a price of course then you will soon guage what sort of stuff sells.

Hi,

np seeing as it's for char-i-de mate. Drop me a private message and I'm sure we can sort something out.

John

Easy_Rider":25riv1m1 said:
Hi and welcome,

Anybody who saves bikes from landfill is more than welcome!

Thank you kindly, it's one reason why some customers use us.

Am i right in thinking you will be selling bikes that have been recovered for charity / profit? I don't see any problem with that, and if you post what you havein the for sale section, even if it's bits of bikes with a rpice of course then you will soon guage what sort of stuff sells.

We find new homes for lost bikes. :) It's a bit like a charity shop, people donate unwanted bikes (including stolen/ unclaimed from the Fuzz) and we make sure they are fully operational & safe before selling them to joe public. We do not make a profit, but do cover our own costs. Basically, buy a bike from us & you are paying for its repair by us. We also sell unrefurbed bikes and used spares & repair customers' bikes.

Stuff that isn't cost effective to repair (or isn't really saleable) is passed on to the Krizevac Project who send it to Malawi where it keeps 2 families alive & helps hundreds to get to work/ market/ school etc. Unuseable stuff gets weighed in as scrap - after useable bits are stripped, so nowt is wasted.

Hi there :D
I help out on one of these charity gigs bums on saddles for low cost kind of thing on a voluntary basis,i only do one day a week though.
Well done on your charity work :cool: keep up it up and you're guaranteed entrance into heaven :D .

dyna-ti":3c6xjrsq said:
Hi there :D
I help out on one of these charity gigs bums on saddles for low cost kind of thing on a voluntary basis,i only do one day a week though.
Well done on your charity work :cool: keep up it up and you're guaranteed entrance into heaven :D .

Yeah, that's the general idea, encouraging people into cycling either for the first time, or quite often, baby boomers like myself returning to the fold after 40-50 years of driving.

But, now & again we get a bike nut donating something special - and it REALLY NEEDS another bike nut to look after it & keep it in good trim for posterity. Finding good homes for run of the mill stuff is easy, they drop in every day. Finding safe hands for an early handbuilt road bike, a Muddy Fox Courier, or a Raleigh Burner is a bit harder.

Back