Talk discs to me

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I used to use Hopes C2 for many years till i sold the bike.I loved them,they did everything i asked and didnt demand to be serviced regularly .

V's are okish but i want the power of discs once again :cool:
I bought a set of C2's on ebay and wished i hadn't as theyre in such poor condition due to age corrosion etc.
So i though i'd look about and see whats best
When i say best, i mean easy to use ,maintain,and do the job without fuss
Ive since bought a c2[which needed a major service and have lost me £20 since selling them]
The C2 had a neat adjuster can allowing you to adjust the pads on the fly :cool:

I've asked my LBS's son,young neil [ hes not so young any more ]and is mad on downhill as are all his mates :LOL: therefore they use discs all the time and are the best to ask.

He recommends formula K[something]as it has this pad adjusting facility.

what im looking for is a brake that doesnt automatically adjust itself as i believe this just causes more problems[as in the mono ;) ]works very well,requires next to no maintenance and will last as long as the C'2 have
and most important as im quite poor,isnt going to cost the earth
Im most likely to buy secondhand either on ebay or more likely from here
what brake should i go for to replace my beloved C2's?
Hayes nine-formula somethings-hope-shimano-avid's-magura-or something else

2008 Hope Mono M4's are the best brake I've ever used. Conversely the 2006 Mono Mini's were the worst I've ever used.

Used my Avid BB7's pretty hard this summer in the Alps and they worked very well, easy maintainance and adjustment.
Like the simplicty of mechanical discs also, seems there are not many brands that make mech. disc that actually work as good as BB7's though.

I've used Magura Louise brakes since 2004 and have never had a problem with them.

The only thing I've done (this year)mis upgrade to a 180mm disc up front, but to be honest, it was more for psychological reasons than any real need for more power.

Merlin cycles have some real good value disc brake sets at the moment.

I run Hayes MX2's on both my bikes (mainly due to simplicity). I've 203mm discs on my Voodoo and 203/185 on my Identiti. Lots of power and easy adjustment. Would like to try Formula K's but at £170 ish an end they're out of my price range :(

Have bog standard LX hyds on my Tomac and they stop just fine, but love the simplicity of the BB7 on my Kona and they stop just as well.

xizang":rdsojjr0 said:
I run Hayes MX2's on both my bikes (mainly due to simplicity). I've 203mm discs on my Voodoo and 203/185 on my Identiti. Lots of power and easy adjustment. Would like to try Formula K's but at £170 ish an end they're out of my price range :(

Not surprised they're powerful, running 203/185 rotors, it'd be hard not to be! :D

high tech is wrong tech

xizang":1ubpdx5t said:
I run Hayes MX2's on both my bikes (mainly due to simplicity
(

Simplicity,Thats the kind of thing i want to know.They cant be too advanced as i always find this equals more things to go wrong/stick/break
I need something with a proven track record,that is a few years old and has survived several British winters and has laughed them off.
Along with being extremely serviceable with robust and easy to find spares,and doesnt have pistons that bind if you dont clean them :LOL:

Am i asking too much??
Though the C2's never let me down :cool: but its hard to find a fair priced pair that are still in good working condition and dont need a major renovation type service where i'd have to replace most of the moving parts to get it to work properly.
:(
I'd be running no more than a 185mm on the front with a 155 or 165 on the back.i only potter after all :LOL:

i got a front c2 with sport lever for £12 not long ago , but you didnt want to know that :LOL:

ill not use anything but hope

ive even found i prefer the sport lever to the pro and the minis i just hate

Back