What is the best cleaning solution for bikes?

Munky0Fresh

Retro Newbie
I have recently removed a derailleur off an old rusty frame, But it needs some serious cleaning and i was just wondering is there any special cleaning solution for this job? :?

Depending on what it is and how dirty it is, I use any of the following:

General Muck: Fairy Liquid and Hot Water in the sink with the washing up.

Really Persistant Muck: Citrus Degreaser

Light Rust on Steel: WD40 and Scotchbrite Pad

Dull/Scuffed Alloy: Brasso/Autosol

Really Poor Condition Alloy: Various Grades of polishing compound/wet & dry/polishing pads/power drill/dremmel/Brasso/Autosol

Tallpaul":tibr5631 said:
Depending on what it is and how dirty it is, I use any of the following:

General Muck: Fairy Liquid and Hot Water in the sink with the washing up.

Really Persistant Muck: Citrus Degreaser

Light Rust on Steel: WD40 and Scotchbrite Pad

Dull/Scuffed Alloy: Brasso/Autosol

Really Poor Condition Alloy: Various Grades of polishing compound/wet & dry/polishing pads/power drill/dremmel/Brasso/Autosol

Thanks again dude :D

General bike clean, hose pipe and a brush, then GT85 all the moving bits, Clean the chain with GT85 then wipe with a cloth and oil up.

Once a month i pull the chain off and soak it in thinners for an hour, I then clean the cables and oil them up, For the pivots i split them down give them a blast over with GT85 then rebuild with a dash of copper grease.

For stubborn crud you cant beat a bit of thinners imo, just be careful on seals as it will corrode them.

oil chain daily

neglect everything else

kick bike when mud becomes too thick or impedes movement of wheels/cranks

rub down with kitchen scourer once in a while

each 6 months or so strip down . clean frame/forks/wheels in shower .wash parts in sink . repaint frame . oil inside of frame and stick it all back together after looking at the bearings and thinking " hmm , good for another few months "

perry":3n9mwsdl said:
each 6 months or so strip down . clean frame/forks/wheels in shower .

NO, NO, NO!

Each 12 months take bike to Mountain Mayhem and use free Muc-off jetwash (careful around BB, headset and wheel hubs) as often as possible and collect free sample bottle of chain lube with which to lube chain daily. I came home with 9 bottles this year and a very clean bike:D

The only way forward ;)

muc-off-cleaner-5ltr_1.jpg

Concentrated Fenwicks ....dilute for simpler cleaning duties, stronger for degreasing. Works out cheaper than Muck Off and smells nice...well I think it does :LOL:

I swear by the citrus degreaser stuff diluted according to need! On holiday I often buy a spray bike cleaner in Decathlon seems to work quite well on the every day stuff.

Back