Chain length and powerlink Q

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi
Couple of Q's which I think I know the answer to.
1. Is it OK to use a sram powerlink on a shimano chain (same size of course). I think...YES
2. Chain shortening. I have single 32T up front and 12/23 Ultegra on the rear running Dura-Ace 9 speed mech. Big cog to ring + two links as usual?
3. Looking at my set-up as is...the natural chain-line looks to fall on the third cog up on the cassette...leaving quite a stretch to the biggest
cog. Is this going to be OK? Havn't much room to play with BB axle length.
Cheers
Carl

1. Yes.
2. Dunno, if it the rear derailleur is in the 5 o'clock position in the biggest cog on the cassette, that is generally about right.
3. Hmm, my chainline is straight on the fifth smallest. I think it could be quite a stretch to the largest on your set-up as you say....

How about using a few washers and spacing the front chainring over a few mm? That might be all you need to get a decent chain line.

SP

ive just got an uno and noticed its a few mm nearer the centreline of the frame compared to a spider and ring in the middle position

could you use a longer bottom bracket . could just be the next size up you need

perry":38k2jq38 said:
ive just got an uno and noticed its a few mm nearer the centreline of the frame compared to a spider and ring in the middle position

could you use a longer bottom bracket . could just be the next size up you need

Mmmm.....I think I need it the other way....the chainring needs to be closer to the frame in order have a 'natural' chainline approx. mid-way through the cassette....maybe this isn't necessary?

I'll measure the current BB, mock-up a chainline and take some pictures......I'm probably fussing over nothing :oops: :LOL:

Thanks chaps

yep , i miss read . i saw 3rd and thought the 3rd gear down :oops:

so maybe a shorter bb . my middleburns run with rizla clearance to the bb if that helps

Here we go...mocked up the bike.

Bottom bracket clearance..68x114 BB fitted.

Ebaystuff1412.jpg

'Natural' chain-line

Ebaystuff1413.jpg

Chain on biggest cog...looks painful.

Ebaystuff1420.jpg

Chain Length

Chain measured largest cog to chainring + 2...looks too short doesn't it?

On bottom cog

Ebaystuff1418.jpg

Top Cog

Ebaystuff1419.jpg

Longer chain fitted

Ebaystuff1421.jpg

Whatcha reckon fellas?

Cheers
Carl

Is that front chainring dished? If so can you take it off the cranks and re-fit it the other way around? This would improve the chain line.

Back