$40 to send tyre from US to UK?

JohnH

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a replacement tan-wall tyre to go on the rear of my '93 Saracen Sahara as the original Ritchey Mod-Quad 2 is looking its age. So I was jolly pleased when I stumbled upon the Panaracer Timbuk IIs that First Flight Bikes are selling for $30.

I checked the order page for info on the P&P costs, but found nothing. Couldn't even find an e-mail address. So, I pressed the "Add to cart" button, which created a "shopping cart" page and changed the destination to "United Kingdom". P&P charges suddenly shot up to $40! :shock: They only weigh 545g (about a pound) and completely fold up!

Have any UK forum members ordered these tyres before? If so, did you pay $40 to get them to you, or is this some kind of computer glitch? I'd love to know...

i was quoted about $20 shipping on a camelbak hose clip which weighs a couple of grams.

i think its just postage from the US costs a small fortune

Khane":kmlzej9j said:
i was quoted about $20 shipping on a camelbak hose clip which weighs a couple of grams.

...either that, or somebody's too lazy to weigh some of this stuff and get an accurate quote. But then I suppose there's not much motivation to stop over-charging people for P&P... :(

manitou916":1cj9n0pb said:
Khane":1cj9n0pb said:
Errm... that would have an actual postage cost of less than $3.00 if shipped via USPS First Class International - which has up to $400 of insurance by default.

nope that was there cheap option with a 2 week estimated time

your missing the point it wasnt there priority service

this was there "standard" delivery charge, you'd be paying even more for there priority service.

needless to say i wasnt going to pay £20 for postage on something that cost £3

JFYI.....Yes $40 is very unreasonable for 1 tire shipped from the US. A 1lb package from the US to most all of Europe by US Priority Mail International is ~US$22 if the package is under 84 inches in combined length and girth. I have shipped two wire bead clinchers triple loop folded in one box 12x12x8"high to Europe for ~US$24 with 6-10 day delivery and it's only a couple dollars more for the Express International service. Some sellers charge more for their time to pack and run it to the post office if they don't pay for pick up service at their place of business. Many businesses also feel the need to have a mark up on shipping to cover the time spent to pack and process when they could have otherwise been working on a repair or on a sales floor selling generating income which pays the bills. For them there has to be a cost to packing and shipping. Packing and Shipping is treated as a profit center just like any other part of their operation. Please also understand that shipping by US Priority Mail also provides the seller a proof of delivery and tracking for the buyer at no additional charge...that's why so many utilize that service. Yes for tiny small items First Class can be an option but once you add delivery confirmation to the cost it starts to add up. Most sellers don't want to get the..."it never arrived" complaint when it actually did...so they won't take a chance shipping with bear bones First Class service having no proof of delivery.

You could try to see if someone would organise a group buy to cut down on shipping? its 90$ to ship ten which takes the price down to £24 ish quid? AFAIK first flight have made these tyres as a labour of love and there not really making to much from them if anything, could be wrong though. You might have trouble rousing interest as a relative newbie but someone might be up for it and as First Flights a regular contributer to the site something may be able to be worked out.

Latest posts

Back