the retro hi-fi thread!

cce

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
inspired by LGF's latest skip-diving antics HERE a thread for sad sound afficionados to wax lyrical about their kit..

i'm packing

Sources:

Marantz CD6000-OSE-LE into Audio Alchemy DDE V1.0 (if you can get one of these it's an outright revelation....)
Dual CS-503-1 Turntable

Amplification:

Audiolab 8000A

Speakers

Linn Index 2 on Kustone stands with Linn K400 speaker cable

Do you know? I have no idea if this stuff is any good or retro. From the top:
Sherwood Turntable PS9700

Marantz CD-67 MKII SE

Denon Stereo Tuner TU-260L II

Yamaha Stereo Cassette Deck KX-393 (used three times?)

Arcam Alpha 7R amp.

Mordant Short (tall) speakers.

Actually one of the speakers has an annoying vibration. Is this repairable? If anyone knows can you let me know. Ta.

:shock: Dual CS-503-1 Turntable I had one of those BITD . I binned it after I brought a CD player :oops: Perhaps LGF found it :LOL:

The speaker may just need the driver mountings tightened. Failing that it's probably a loose part of the voice coil, which means a new driver. It might not be too bad cost-wise.

Dont take the piss!

I do have a couple of Duals prob a 505.

Vibrating drivers could possibly be a voice coil thats is rubbing inside the magnet or a cable vibrating against the back of the driver inside the cabinet.

You dont want me to really list everything I have do you?

Not so much retro hifi as probably the only hifi I will ever need.

Bought it in 97 or 98 and still chuffed to bits with it.

Cyrus IIIi - Amp
Cyrus Dad3 - CD player
Dynaudio 5 - speakers
B&O - funky linear turntable thing I was given

The CD player stopped working last year but for £25 and a set of funny screwdrivers I took it apart and replaced the Philips laser mechanism.

A small sample of what I have stashed away. I also think I have a problem...

Attachments

• wall of sound.jpg
    wall of sound.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 7,711
Damn I've tried to resist this thread, but can no longer!
Old Hifi (well old technology;valves, AlNiCo magnets etc) is my main passion. Yes, even more than reto-bikes! :oops:

System is:
Pathos Twin Towers amp. (single-ended class A valve/MOSFET hybrid.) I think this is the most beautiful hifi componant ever made, it really is a piece of art or sculpture. It's also the most natural sounding amp I've heard with a lovely valve warmth, but solid-state balls and speed in the bass. The only problem with it is that being class A it consumes 450w but puts out only 30w. Oh and it weigh an absolute ton. But it's definitely my most prized possession!

Speakers are Alon Lotus Elite Signatures. These were the HiFi Plus magazines review pair. I got them for a quarter of the retail price but they still cost a fortune! They've two bass units in a sealed box, with the mid and treble mounted open-baffle, so the sound is very spacious and open. All magnets are AlNiCo. The problem with these speakers is that they are just too good for the rest of the system, -you can hear every tiny flaw or tweak downstream. I thought I could get away with mid range cables but no, even different terminations are painfully apparent. :roll:

CD player is a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista valveDAC and Theta transport. It's ok, smooth and spacious but it's still a CD player isn't it ;) , so sounds a bit mechanical and unsubtle. (A fact the speakers readily remind me of)
Cables are SupraSword speaker, Yamamura interconnect and Nordost Shiva power cables, -these aren't great really' very 'fast' and clean but give your system a bit of a 'transistor-radio' thinness...

Bloody hell, I'm glad to have got that of me chest. Haven't been able to be that boring for years!

Back