Arise, Sir Thunderthighs

Excellent News!

Amazing. 10 GB cyclists included in the new year honours list.
Recognition for sports achievements outside of football - ALWAYS a good thing.

I'm particularly pleased for Jamie Staff, who was totally ignored during his long BMX career in the U.S. before blitzing straight into the U.K. track team.

And for Nicole Cooke, who gets relatively little coverage, despite having more wins and World Championship titles than the rest of them combined.

:D Good stuff, just read 'heroes villains and velodromes', the whole team deserve recognition.

In fairness, Nicole Cooke is a household name in Wales. the BBC do a good job of promoting her successes, but I fear this is only the case as we have such a small population that her successes stand out from the rest with ease.

I know this goes against the grain but it seems to be get a gold medal, get an OBE/CBE/MBE etc.
I'm pleased they got recognised for what they've acheived but as in the Olympics when Rebecca Addlington was interviewed and the other swimmer (forgotten who) came behind her saying "Dame Rebecca". It just pi$$ed me off.
The interview with Eleanor Simmonds on TV this morning, she was saying that when she won her gold would she have an OBE etc because she was only 13 (at the time).

For the people who do charity work, the guy who restored a church, Chris Hoy's mother for her work on sleep-related illnesses, YES these deserve them.

Apologies if this annoys anyone out there, it's just my opinion.

xizang":2e15sngm said:
I know this goes against the grain but it seems to be get a gold medal, get an OBE/CBE/MBE etc.
I'm pleased they got recognised for what they've acheived but as in the Olympics when Rebecca Addlington was interviewed and the other swimmer (forgotten who) came behind her saying "Dame Rebecca". It just pi$$ed me off.
The interview with Eleanor Simmonds on TV this morning, she was saying that when she won her gold would she have an OBE etc because she was only 13 (at the time).

For the people who do charity work, the guy who restored a church, Chris Hoy's mother for her work on sleep-related illnesses, YES these deserve them.

Apologies if this annoys anyone out there, it's just my opinion.

It may annoy some people, but I tend to lean towards your thinking on this.
I'm not taking anything away from the fact that these are wonderful athletes/sportsmen etc. but am I wrong in thinking that these sort of awards used to be given for work and services that were for the good of others and that often involved considerable personal sacrifice of one kind or another?

Sure, top athletes sacrifice a lot for their chosen sport but ultimately that is for their benefit, no one else's.

Fair enough.

I agree that those people who do years of unpaid charity work (for example) are probably more deserving of recognition than sports-people, considering the benefits their charity work brings to others in need... BUT:

This "expectation" of a gong goes far beyond sporting achievements.

There are many positions in the UK where toadying around Government circles for long enough will get you a gong/ a European desk job / or appointed as a Peer to the House of Lords.

Such as senior Civil Service / Diplomatic posts that almost come with a gong attached; Fronting a high-profile Govt. report ("Lord" Stern of the Climate Change report) etc. etc.

That sort of thing is actually CLOSER to the way the honours systems has historically functioned - As a way for the monarch to reward political allies and ar$e lickers.

Many other top-level gongs seem to be awarded for "Services To Self-Enrichment" like "Sir" Alex Ferguson or "Sir" Richard Branson.

So, on balance, it's nice to see a bunch of top bikers get recognition instead.

Sir Hoy used to be sponsored by the bike shop i worked for BITD- rode a Proflex 751/2 from memory

Come to think of it- he never returned it :)

Andy

Good grief.

Are cyclists unique in having to be negative when our own get sucess? Surprised people haven't been on here complaining that the world kite-snowboard-darts champion who happens to be from melton mowbray hasn't also got a gong of some description.

Sure charity workers are probably more deserving but surely there's no harm giving a gong or two to sportsmen (or women)? As DMs says they are more deserving than someone whose service to the country involves making themselves a sh1tload of cash or just doing their job...

Back