five excuses not to ride to work

Danger and distance. I just dont feel safe and too many uncaring drivers. 99.99% are fine but its the 0.01% that hits you.. Weather isnt a problem if about 3 miles, the further it is the colder and wetter it gets.

Re:

I ride to work every day, unless it's torrential in the morning.

But then I don't live in a city

My commute is 7 miles each way straight through the centre of Glasgow and out the other side. I ride to work every day, although I must admit that I do hesitate when the wind is over 40 mph.

In the last 12 years the only thing that has actually stopped me is a broken collarbone... unfortunately, on two separate occasions although neither were commute related.

The positive difference it has made to my life is phenomenal. I'm fitter, in a better state when I arrive at home or work and it keeps me out of the pub.

I can tell when I'm stressed out by work though... My tolerance of other road users' questionable behaviour drops a few notches :p

Re:

Last year I rode to work every day, round trip 20 miles. Inevitably there were occasional near misses with idiots in cars desperate to get to the next traffic jam. This year I decided to commute by bike a bit less but now I take the scenic route - longer and more enjoyable and a great way of de-stressing. The way it's going I'll soon be using the bike(s) every day again :D :cool:

Re: Re:

michael franks":37w6rjg7 said:
Last year I rode to work every day, round trip 20 miles. Inevitably there were occasional near misses with idiots in cars desperate to get to the next traffic jam. This year I decided to commute by bike a bit less but now I take the scenic route - longer and more enjoyable and a great way of de-stressing. The way it's going I'll soon be using the bike(s) every day again :D :cool:

Yes, mine is a 20 miles per day commute too. Early morning 10 miles, so less traffic, and then add more mileage on a longer ride home on quieter roads

77 times more likely to die while walking. That's why I cycle commuted - in more than one country - for 30 years. Nary a scratch. Its the difference between merely playing with bicycles and being a cyclist.

You're many, many rimes more likely to be killed by lack of exercise than by another road user.

Re:

Can I be excused of not cycling to work with a 34mile round trip and a 12 hour slog inbetween?

Is 'I sweat too much' on the list?

I've just going again after moving further away in the winter - not sure I'll manage both directions of the 40k's of Peak District hills, but i might try as we head towards summer. For now it looks like two or three times a week home per week. I've just found a nice XC route home too... Nice!

<Get's on soapbox>

Echoing comments above, I cycle everyday to work; 11 miles both ways, from the SE London suburbs to just off Tooley Street (London Bridge). In these times, I could work from home. I don't for the sole reason (don't tell my employers :LOL: ) that cycling is my drug fix.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I've been commuting like this, to a few spots around central London, for almost 10 years now. The exercise is intense: I push myself where it's safe to do so. The head (clear) space it gives me is as valuable as the fitness benefits. Coupled with running, at 40, I'm fitter than I was 20.

Yeah, this is a bit 'look at me' and cycling certainly can't improve my facial features (!) but without it, I know I'd be 5 stone heavier, super un-happy and a lot poorer in the pocket. Why waste money in a car or on the train when I can more often than not, get to work quicker and more easily.

The only times I don't ride is when I have after-work drinks (maybe once a month), when it's a 60mph+ gale (rare) or icy (very rare, snow isn't an issue). Or injury (thankfully - touch wood - even rarer).

The key part of that article is routine. Once it's part of your routine, it's natural, it's easy, it's just normal. It's non-negotiable. There are no excuses.

Sweaty or smelly? Shower before you ride, go to a cubicle at work, flannel down, freshen up.
Too long? If it's 20 miles one way, maybe, but even then you can work to it. I'd love a longer commute (!)
Good enough bike? Nonsense.
Dangerous? Only if you make it so. And as pointed out, no more dangerous than being a pedestrian. Or a driver.

<Get's off soapbox>

Back