Fidel Castro 1926-2016

I remember once meeting with a man who's parents fled the revolution in the mid-60s. He proudly showed off the deed to what he said was a large mansion confiscated by Fidel and turned into a school. He told me that "when they're overthrown" he'd go back to Cuba and kick everyone out of "his" house, and that they wouldn't need much education to harvest sugar cane for him anyway.

It was at that point I decided Fidel was absolutely right.

dyna-ti":oyxiyt0g said:
A hero to many

Hmm.... one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist etc.
Sure he liberated Cuba, but then it's effectively been a dictatorship for the last 50 years. Now his brother runs things...

Bats":1rifunzt said:
I remember once meeting with a man who's parents fled the revolution in the mid-60s. He proudly showed off the deed to what he said was a large mansion confiscated by Fidel and turned into a school. He told me that "when they're overthrown" he'd go back to Cuba and kick everyone out of "his" house, and that they wouldn't need much education to harvest sugar cane for him anyway.

Really?

Pm me your address where you and your family live and ill come round to throw you out and change the locks. Ill let in four homeless guys in.

Afterwards ill ask you to tell me how you feel..

If cuba under communsium was such a paradise, how come all of the cubans want to go to america? Dont you wonder why cuba is not mentioed ad the country the migrants want to settle in?

Dont want to start argument but generally dictators that forcea political system onto the population arent that good.

Re:

Quite a remarkable story.
That Castro maintained a communist state just 90 miles from the USA under 50 years of trade embargo and hundreds of assassination attempts is outstanding.
He was anti-apartheid and anti-Zionist, a friend and supporter of Yassar Arafat and naturally anti the shockingly continual piecemeal genocide of Palestinians.
Literacy, numeracy, education and health all grew under his leadership.
But of course there was a downside, and a severe one if you were to challenge him. State ownership of the press and censorship BUT if you look at our press, most of which is owned by a handful of right wing multi billionaires with their own agendas, I'm not sure we can be quite so judgemental.
There are and will be those that celebrate or mourn his demise. For some he was a great leader that, under immense pressure, challenged the might of American, and won. Quite an achievement. Others will say he was a tyrant and dictator. Having never visited or lived there, I couldn't possibly comment. As westerners we have always been fed one story.

02gf74":3njrpsxq said:
Bats":3njrpsxq said:

If cuba under communsium was such a paradise, how come all of the cubans want to go to america?

All Cubans want to live in America? Strong statement. Presumably you can provide a citation.

Light the blue touch paper...........

Can we create a forum section for those who want to argue a lot?

You could argue about what to call it.

Re:

^ :LOL: My Irish uncle Paddy is 'the spit' of Fidel, been a family joke for a long time. No question he did a lot of good for his people, mostly subsidized by the Russian state and he scared the crap out of the ROW during the Cuban Missile Crisis but he also had a nasty dark side. He was partial to a regular supply of young virgins giving it up for his delectation. Totalitarian Communist leaders always have to rule by fear and that says it all.

Re: Re:

M-Power":2n1qkk11 said:
^ :LOL: My Irish uncle Paddy is 'the spit' of Fidel, been a family joke for a long time. No question he did a lot of good for his people, mostly subsidized by the Russian state and he scared the crap out of the ROW during the Cuban Missile Crisis but he also had a nasty dark side. He was partial to a regular supply of young virgins giving it up for his delectation. Totalitarian Communist leaders always have to rule by fear and that says it all.

Oh the irony.

Back