Any Garmin GPS experts?

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Looking for some guidance (haha) with my vista handheld gps.

Any good web resources? Had a quick search buy not found much of use.

Specifically trying to figure out routes / tracks etc. Things like how is it best to mark out a route/track you wish to follow? Can you make a track in mapsource (or go back over an existing one) then follow it on the GPS?

I don't know anything about map source so I can't help there sadly. I found Memory Map was easy enough to use. You simply 'draw' your route, right click on it and click the 'Export to GPS' option.

You then look on Routes on the menu and there it is. You then push in the joystick and it is on the screen. You then have to option of viewing each section. For Example you get a compass in the middle of the screen directing you to your next waypoint. Then in the boxes at the top of the screen you can have a range of option; Average Speed, Odometer, ETA,Elevation, Current Speed, Distance to next waypoint and some others. Or you can view it in a birds eye view style with the current point you are on, the next point and the point you are going to. I use the compass layout as I know where I have been. ;)

Hope this sort of helps..

I use tracklogs, draw a load of dots where I want to go. Put some waypoints at key points or junctions where you have options.
Then just export to GPS, and it appears as a route. I use the birds eye view so you can see where you are going, any sharp corners etc. Then have speed and/distance etc on info on top.

Works for me. Never tried the compass following thing, as I like to look down and see ahead.

gump":2n6oaryg said:
I use tracklogs, draw a load of dots where I want to go. Put some waypoints at key points or junctions where you have options.
Then just export to GPS, and it appears as a route. I use the birds eye view so you can see where you are going, any sharp corners etc. Then have speed and/distance etc on info on top.

Works for me. Never tried the compass following thing, as I like to look down and see ahead.

Maybe I'm over complicating things.

Drawn routes using mapsource then exported to the GPS. No problem following these.
The only problem I've had is with following tracklogs I've recorded using the gps. Used a couple of utilities to convert back to routes but they've not worked so well to be honest...

Latest posts

Back