Another scrappage scheme?

Agreed, nobody seems to consider the CO2 cost of making a vehicle in the first place: smelting a tonne of steel etc etc.

I saw an article last week on the BBC website that said that some Euro5 vehicles when tested on a road loop (as opposed to the lab) were emitting 12x the level of pollutants.

Re:

nothing to do with fuel consumption, exhaust gasses etc, it's about job creation and stimulating one of our major industries

legrandefromage":28defb51 said:
What is missed here is that diesel vehicles produced for the 2011/12/13/14 model years were found to be producing far more levels of NOx than they should have been.
Erm, no they weren't (Excluding the VAG shitstorm). They were producing almost exactly the amount of NOx they said they would under the legally mandated test procedure.
legrandefromage":28defb51 said:
Short journeys and cold engines pumped out many, many times the amounts that manufacturers claimed for these vehicles.
No, they pumped exactly the amount that the manufacturers claimed, if you drive according to the terribly badly written test procedures. You drive outside the test procedures (which is pretty much a given as they are so shit) you'll cause higher emissions.

You want to point fingers, point them at the imbeciles who write/control the legislation.
Mostly done while ignoring advice from people who knew what they were talking about.

Re:

The 65-plate lorry I drive is a Euro 6 . Still does 9 mpg though, like the old one. Despite drivig it in 'ECO' mode.

No idea what that means, just thought I'd put it out there! :oops:

Mike

So the Radio 4 program was completely wrong and theres absolutely nothing to worried about. Sure, scrap the cars, release all that stored CO2, keep the car industry going to create jobs and continuously pump out shit cars that fail miserably a few years down the line so its a continuous loop.

And any independent testing is just whistling into the wind

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/v ... l-cars-for

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... orld-tests

Among the new models tested that are meant to comply with the Euro 6 standard were the Ford Focus, which had a real-world emission about eight times above the EU limit, the Renault Megane, whose emissions were more than 10 times higher, and the Vauxhall Insignia, almost 10 times higher.

Re:

Had my 2001 Golf Gti 2.0 Petrol MOT'd this week. Here are the emission test results ...

Fast Idle 2685rpm
Carbon monoxide CO = 0.04% (Max allowed 0.20%)
Hydrocarbons HC = 11ppm (Max allowed 200ppm)

Natural Idle 810rpm
Carbon monoxide CO = 0.00% (Max allowed 0.30%)

Not too bad for a 15 year old car that has done 47K. No way am I scrapping it.

legrandefromage":18nqvdcy said:
The last one saw perfectly serviceable cars sent to the crushers with rows and rows of cars left out to the elements.

PARKLIFE

In their place were purchased cheap cheerful vehicles that have a very short lifespan before the economics of repairs punt them off the road, in some cases quicker than the the cars they were meant to replace.

PARKLIFE

The majority of these purchases were/are used for short journeys where the cars were at their most polluting, immediately negating any environmental benefits.

PARKLIFE

The new scrappage scheme may, if implemented, focus on cars of 10 years old or more. This is to drop the amount of NOx.

PARKLIFE

What is missed here is that diesel vehicles produced for the 2011/12/13/14 model years were found to be producing far more levels of NOx than they should have been. Short journeys and cold engines pumped out many, many times the amounts that manufacturers claimed for these vehicles.

PARKLIFE

Then theres the actual journey breakdown of vehicle use in towns and cities. These are made by commercial vehicles of many differing emissions from 30 year old school buses to electric vans.

All the people, so many people, they all gohand in hand. Hand in hand through their parklife.

legrandefromage":8swr4mmg said:
So the Radio 4 program was completely wrong
if its the same as all the other misreporting of the facts I've seen over the last 6 months, yes.
and theres absolutely nothing to worried about.
i didn't say that, i just said that if you have shit tests that bear no resemblance to real life, expect shit emissions when you drive "in real life" instead of driving to the test cycle
And any independent testing is just whistling into the wind
unless they are testing to the same spec as the emissions standards, yes. No one tries to meet made up standards.

What we need is proper test specs written by people who understand what is going on. Not written by a committee of civil servants. We'll get some way to this with euro 6c, which includes real driving emissions. Rather than just test cycles.

FWIW petrols are just as bad. It's just a different combination of emissions.

Latest posts

Back