Endurance road bikes

Re:

I think it's valid, most modern road race bikes aren't really suitable for the average weekend rider on our poor road surfaces. Most people you see on road bikes are riding on the hoods because the geometry is to aggressive for them. These bikes seem to be higher at the front end to address that problem. It also looks like they are putting some of the compliance/comfort back in, compliance that they arguably took away with oversized tapered head tubes, 31.8mm bar clamps, bigger BBs and etc.

With disc braked road bikes and Endurance road bikes bikes it seems it's becoming harder these days to tell the difference between a road bike, a CX bike and a drop bar hybid.

They're not exactly new, I had a Cannondale Synapse a few years ago. Comfortable, handled like crap though. next a Cervelo R3, which isn't billed as endurance, but has a lot of the qualities, long head tube, compliant rear end, pretty good bike, comfortable for hours in the saddle and handled pretty well too.
Run them with 25mm tyres (or larger if they fit) and they suck up a lot of the road.

Re:

I decided to treat my back to a break and bought a less aggressive frame 18 months ago for winter use. Tall head tube, relaxed angles etc.

Bloody hated it. Handled like a bus and I felt too upright. My back felt a bit better but my head couldnt take the relaxed feel. Persevered for nearly a year but eventually bought a Dolan winter frame and swapped the parts across. Much happier now.

Re:

I had a Giant TCR Advanced which was bloody quick, but after 4+ hours in the saddle it was a pain. I bought a Defy which is like wafting along on a carpet! Needless to say the TCR is now on eBay....

SP

Re:

This is what happens when people get suck(er)ed into buying racing bikes under the misnomer of a 'road' bike.

Buy the bikes you want, the bikes that work, the bikes you like. The latest & greatest tdf replica is not a 'road' bike. Never was, never will be..
A Road bike is one you ride on the road; however it started out life, whatever its designers' intentions, perhaps it was intended for a casual rider to do many, many miles; in which case good, great even - but a racing bike is not 'the' one-stop solution for everyone who wants to do a few miles, or a lot of miles, at a pace and of a distance comfortable to themselves.

'Endurance' road bikes aren't the fad; Racing bikes (hopefully!) were.

Except i want a race bike, to race on.
An endurance bike is no good for that.

The fad is just people buying/being sold the wrong bike.

mattr":339v86jo said:
Except i want a race bike, to race on.
An endurance bike is no good for that.

The fad is just people buying/being sold the wrong bike.

Wanna buy a nice TCR Team Rabobank :LOL: ? I actually bought the TCR to compliment the DEFY I already had. The DEFY is a bit like a Ford Mondeo, reasonably priced, does everything reasonably well BUT isn't a sports car. I thought I might like a sports car but sadly I am Mondeo Man :(

SP

Thanks all. Have bitten the bullet and bought an Orbea Avant. Can't ride at the moment as I have a cast on my leg, but hopefully that gets fixed soon

Back