Laptop Help Please!

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
can anyone tell me how to get a live version of my laptop screen up on to a big old sony tv?!

i bought the vga - scart lead but when i plug them both in and rattle through the source button selection, the tv doesn't see it. am i missing something?

thanks!

craig

Re:

If I remeber correctly :D with the old TVs you had to turn off the laptop, connect up the cable, set the TV first to the correct AV then turn on laptop, it will then display, if not, then set the display on your control panel on the laptop to TV and set resolution, you will need an audio cable to headphone sockets too.

You'll need to tell the graphics card on the laptop to actually output something through the vga port. Usually function + f8 iirc (it is on all of the laptops I can find at the moment!). But best off checking on your laptop.

And I don't think you will get any sound.

Re:

SCART now we're getting old and into a setup that was never ever going to work with VGA whenever I looked.

Are you sure you have a VGA to SCART and not a SCART to VGA ?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Only certain types of graphics card could output TV style video through the VGA port, and this was only ever useful for say people making TV shows or using a PC to power an arcade machine.

To be honest even if you got it working you'd be disappointed. The amount of detail an old TV can show is waay worse than even the oldest real VGA monitor, going back almost 30 years now. You wouldn't be able to read anything cause it'd flicker like mad.

Re:

thanks for your help and honesty. if i bought a modern flat screen tv would that be any better or it is just a case of watching 80s cycling via internet on the big screen is going to look like a multi coloured blizzard??!

:shock:

Re:

Almost all them have VGA sockets on so it'll be fine. Just works as a monitor.

Back