British Sport

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Really is in great shape. The last few years we have produced world champions in cycling, driving, tennis and sailing, to name just the few that drop into my head.

We are the new Australians, and long may we prosper!

At my age, perhaps tiddly winks would be an option.

Or ogling.

You hardly ever see sailing on the TV. Unless its an international event when they plug it like theyre old friends

videojetman":1og5iab0 said:
We just need a team that can win the World Cup.

That game is all about big money and that knock on has seriously damaged the prospects of young local talent.
Come world cup all the UK players go to their respective countries and the UK is left with a handful.

dyna-ti":2n350x72 said:
videojetman":2n350x72 said:
We just need a team that can win the World Cup.

That game is all about big money and that knock on has seriously damaged the prospects of young local talent.
Come world cup all the UK players go to their respective countries and the UK is left with a handful.
Rubbish!
I don't see the Spanish, Germans, Italians etc suffering 'cos of all the big money in football. Our national shame has more to do with the antiquated coaching techniques for youngsters, not just in football but in all the traditional big sports. Too many competetive matches and not enough having fun while learning the basics.
The sports where we succeed all have innovative coaches/managers with fresh ideas. Football has a bunch of old farts patting themselves on the back if we manage to beat Scotland.

Re:

I don't see the argument that all the money and foreign talent in football is detrimental to the national squad. If anything I imagine it makes football more attractive as a career possibility, and playing with the best never harms talent. Look at Bale.

Sailing is going to get much higher profile thanks to the America's Cup and Sir Ben.

Re:

we have a great chance of a team winning the world cup ;its played here next year
think odd shaped ball big geezers ;) wales or the irish :facepalm:

Seeing as I missed the other thread I'd like to say I also think Hamilton is a knob. I was choking for his engine to blow the whole race. All time great my arse. He's a bawbag. For a British driver so wonderful why do so many dislike him? I was rooting for a German ffs.

It's been a pretty boring year tbh, Merc have been too good. Ferrari have failed Fernando yet again, hopefully McLaren give him something halfway decent. Happy to see Williams back doing well, good on Massa and Bottas looks like a future champion.

Oh and you should really include McIlroy, maybe not a world champ but world no 1 and four time major winner. And he's a lot more likeable then Lewis. Which is why he'll win SPOTY and Hamilton won't imo.

Re:

Golf?

Get your slippers and pipe, grandad!

A daft fecker who dumped a lass he was punching so above his weight to date it was like McGuigan in the ring with Lewis, versus a man dating and making plans with a knockout superstar pop singer, who is as beautiful as she talented?

A man who makes his living taking a stroll in a park whilst tripping over little balls versus a man who dances with death in the most watched live sport in the world?

A man who swings a titanium and carbon tickle stick around versus a man who swings a carbon and titanium missile around at over 200mph?

It is like bar billiards versus alpine skiing.

Re:

I've heard from someone in the team that he's not well liked within it. But he gets results, apparently, and that's what matters.
Not watched F1 since Barrichello let Ferrari team mate Schumacher go past on the last corner of the A1 ring to win the race, sometime in the '90s.
FWIW, I don't like golf either.

I do like winter biathlon though, but don't hold that against me ! :LOL:

Mike

Back