Those things

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
You know, those things you've had for ages and were in a little plastic packet youve moved from place to place over the years knowing that they were handy little things and you're bound to use them at some point.
Years pass and WHERE THE F**K ARE THEY :shock: :shock:

Fitting a rack to a frame that has no provision at the top of the stays. Now ive had a pair of frame fittings that wrap around the tube to enable something to be fitted, like indeed a rack. They look much like the rod mounts for an early crud race only bigger and plastic covered. I think they were designed for a mudguard but thought they'd be handy and popped them in the box for later use. That was about 10 years ago and im sure i moved them recently :LOL:
I hope i havent went ' 10 fking years , time for the bin i think ' :?

Re:

Try to think of the last place you would ever put them, probably near there.

Says he who once put his house/car keys in the fridge... :roll:

Robin Williams: [as he drinks from a glass] A little sip of Perrier here. I had to stop drinking alcohol, because I used to wake up nude in front of my car with my keys in my ass. Not a good thing.

:LOL:

I have lots of small parts like that, that I've had for years. The rear brake canti noodle for my parkpre has been with me for 20 years. I keep it just in case I ever want to put cantis on the frame (cant' think why), or sell it (again, can't think why!). I also have some specially shaped bolts, washers, etc that are useful for fitting a certain pannier rack to a particular frame, and lots of other bits and bobs "just in case". I put all of them in a jam jar or similar to keep them safe.

then I forget where I put the jar :facepalm:

Doesn't everybody have an old lunch box or similar in the man cave for to throw those random bolts, washers, links, clips etc that really should be found a use for at some point?

Ground coffee tins are good. ;)
Mine is a plastic box 15"x12"x10" :oops: I need lots of mostly useless bits

Found those things but theyre too small :(

The History Man":3pjwo6yv said:
Doesn't everybody have an old lunch box or similar in the man cave for to throw those random bolts, washers, links, clips etc that really should be found a use for at some point?
When you've got to 15 lunch boxes, do you: a) have a problem, or 2) gonna need a bigger boat?

The little things are not a problem, it's when you start to hold onto big things just in case that you have a problem.. This is called the Croft Mentality, and can be seen here in the Highlands still. You drive up a back road and note a modest dwelling surrounded by all manner of vehicles and farming equipment in various stages of decay.

I remember fondly spending hours raking through sheds and rusting wrecks for parts and fittings that might fit a need, often to discover something else that was needed recently but not found.

Never mind a few lunch boxes, I probably have ten seatrains' worth of miscellaneous oddments.

Back