Car Insurance Yawnage

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi folks,
just to create the context:

my current insurer is Churchill.
they have sent me an 'auto renewal' quote through (in april) as my premium runs out 25 May.
being the type that doesnt get round to things straight away, i've just done the whole compare the market stuff.

ironically (but typically) i have found a cheaper quote (far cheaper) with the same insurer (churchill)

i've just gone and processed this online.
I havent given any sort of notice to them about the fact i dont want the auto renewal quote (as its actually more expensive than last years premium?!?!? - go figure....)

will be calling them tomorrow to tell them this. am i naive to think that they will be acceptant of the fact that although i havent given a decent amount of notice, i am still insuring with them and they wont go all bastardly and charge me 'x' amount for 'cancellation without notice' fees...???

anyone else done this?

i hate talking to the crooks, but i feel like i might have some leverage regarding the fact i am still staying with them.
and i guess i could just cancel the whole bloody lot and go for the next cheapest if thy get all precious about it.....

thoughts, wise counsel of Retrobike Forum...??

Re:

ive done this tell them that youve done an online quote and its cheaper so what they should do is try to knock you some money off your renewal price

the online prices are based on new customers thats why there cheaper so all been well they should be able to improve your renewal

Re:

I've never had a renewal quote that I couldn't better significantly by shopping around. I phone them up and tell them to match it or I'm going elsewhere, they'll usually do it, if not, I go elsewhere.

all sorted. saved me a pretty penny too. fel sorry for the shcmucks who dont bother renewing...

I was with the Co-op until i moved house last august and tbh i'd actually got a much cheaper insurance renewal quote than i'd previously paid which was £220 but as soon as i'd notified them that i was in the middle of moving to another area they kindly did me another quote but at an incredible higher rate of £769 :shock: so i called them up after shopping around and finding a better deal of £337 and low and behold 3 days later i get a revised quote from the co-op for the amount of £542 :eek: :LOL: so i rang them up and told them i wasn't accepting anything unless it was lower than £337 which they said they couldn't match due to the area i'd moved to so that was that :? ..

The one major benefit of moving from N1 to ruralshire/cambridgeshire has been my car insurance. £1250 in central London, I had to jolly my insurers around a bit to get them to match their own online quote but we eventually settled on just under £500.

I pay about £150 fully comp for two drivers. I never renew. Always switch. Then ring and tell them why.

guess im lucky that i found a cheaper quote with the same company - online insurance application is so much better than having to answer all the mundane questions and having to put up with the additional add ons they like to try and push on to you when you call them up.
i didnt bother switching my motorbike insurance this year though. it was reduced and now i'm just paying around a tenner a month on it. if only the mrs and the kids could get on a bike....

Back