BT broadband and Infinity super fast

mrcpea

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,
We will soon be able to have BT fibre optic infinity as they're upgrading our exchange, about time as we're nearly at a crawl out here in the sticks. Exchange is EASUT (Sutton,Cambs)
The trouble is, that the phone internal wiring looks like a birds nest and a right mess. I think the previous owner tried some DIY & tried to put more socket throughout the house.
I only want 1 master socket that works correctly!
If I opt for a new (hopefully Infinity) package, will BT send an engineer out and check the internal wiring and sort it out thud making sure we're wired correctly. And, will this be included in the price as I see they're saying there's a £30 activation fee.

Any help will be hugely appreciated :D

Hi , we upgraded to that a year ago. Its now far slower than it was before and when you try to get help find yourself trying to make sense with someone from a foreign call centre who is no help at all .
It's still slow now .

Sounds like you will still be on the copper cable. I think that is absolute max 8 meg so unless there is fibre optic right to your door I wouldnt worry about it.

We are 0.3 to 0.9 meg max from the Woolley exchange.

As for dodgy wiring - scream and shout until an engineer checks the outside wiring as well as indoors. At one point, we could only make calls if it rained.

I upgraded about 9 months ago.

BT sent a subcontractor in to do the install and once he'd left we had all sorts of problems. I made a quick complaint and got a BT guy here the following day who slagged off the subbie, made some major changes to the wiring and hey presto we get 10 to 11 meg.

We are still on copper wires from the nearest box about half a mile away from our house. If we were closer to the box we would get better speed, but as all the wiring belongs to BT, there was no real point in looking at other providers.

Cheers for the replies.
We live in Coveney, near Ely, but come off the Sutton exchange, which is approx 5 miles away. They are installing a fibre optic cabinet outside our next door neighbors house, but that still runs through the old cabinet that's been there for years and the bit connecting to our house will still be the same, so I was thinking the same as you legrandefromage. Surly you'd need fibre optic cables 100% of the way to get top speed.
We're officially on a 1meg line, as that's the best the current exchange set up can handle so we're told. We we're getting speeds of 175k up to last weekend, which would suggest to me that we could have more than 1meg. Going on 1meg should equal around 120k. Since the bad storm here last weekend, we're around your top speed at roughly 88k max.
The upgrading of the line should improve things and like you say, at 8 meg max, normal broadband will be OK. I'll will pester then about the wiring :)

Cheers again chaps.

mrcpea":36g93hfa said:
Cheers for the replies.
We live in Coveney, near Ely, but come off the Sutton exchange, which is approx 5 miles away. They are installing a fibre optic cabinet outside our next door neighbors house, but that still runs through the old cabinet that's been there for years and the bit connecting to our house will still be the same, so I was thinking the same as you legrandefromage. Surly you'd need fibre optic cables 100% of the way to get top speed.
We're officially on a 1meg line, as that's the best the current exchange set up can handle so we're told. We we're getting speeds of 175k up to last weekend, which would suggest to me that we could have more than 1meg. Going on 1meg should equal around 120k. Since the bad storm here last weekend, we're around your top speed at roughly 88k max.
The upgrading of the line should improve things and like you say, at 8 meg max, normal broadband will be OK. I'll will pester then about the wiring :)

Cheers again chaps.
If it's fibre to the cabinet, then that should be reasonable, then.

Gig ethernet can run quite happily over copper cables, for relatively short distances, so if the wider infrastructure is on fibre, just 'cos it's not fibre right to your front door, doesn't mean it's a problem.

So decent speed broadband from a cabinet that's provisioned from a wider network by fibre, should be OK. I'm on cable broadband (60 meg) and the fibre terminates in a cabinet outside my house (down a pit), from there on in, it's copper.

The 8meg max was when I was replacing switches in BT exchanges for the now defunct Greenwoods in 2011. I dont know what changes if any have come in since. We are a good 3 miles direct away from the exchange and I dont think they've upgraded it beyond 21cn - what is in the new green cabinet in the village, I dont know, if your new green cabinet has the fibre logo on it then your broadband speed could be 20 times faster - which is nice.

Our village was unlucky as in the mid 90's Cambridge Cable installed a fibre optic network throughout the county for cable TV. Reaping the benefits now of course but not in our village or those connected to Woolley. Same for Sutton I guess.

http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/

I have a recent letter from SKY to say that they are 'upgrading' their internet in our area at the end of Feb. What we'll end up with, I dont know but I have a feeling that they will go for their own LLU which will give us around 2.5meg. TalkTalk have their own LLU in Woolley (and Sutton) and their results seem to suggest 2.5meg.

and some more: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

FTTC will give you about 35mb if you are about a mile or less from the cabinet, had infinity now for about 2 years and its been very good with hardly any problems in both houses. The internal wiring has little bearing on the speed, it did with regular ADSL but not infinity so don't worry too much about it. My job is an IT architect with a background in support and networks so I have a decent idea of these things.

Carl

Higher data rates require higher frequency signals. The effective resistance of a conductor goes up as the frequency of the signal goes up and as it's largely the resistance of the cable that attenuates the signal it means the higher the data rate the shorter the length of cable it will work over. So the fibre doesn't have to go right to your door, but the closer the better.

Oh and I think alot of BT cabling is actually aluminium as it's cheaper than copper.

Back