BT broadband and Infinity super fast

BT would have you check the line using the 'master' socket if you have any issues. They will send an engineer if they suspect there is a fault from there 'out' to the exchange. If they find the master socket has been tampered with they may well charge. Internal extensions, if not installed by BT, will attract charges to repair. To be honest, telephone extensions are very simple and easy to tidy up, plenty of guides online.

So, if the internal wiring is a mess, try disconnecting it and running your router straight from the master socket.

For us it's ADSL2+ but get around 10M or 12M and we're on a poor connection in reality. Contention is the biggest problem though.
But there is no competition here* for them to do anything about it reality and very few would need anymore than we get other than increased reliability of fibre.
Still Fibre (Lightstream) is getting installed all around (albeit very slowly) and then it'll be.. well who knows.
FTTP it 'will be' 100Mbps (fibre to your premises)
VDSL(FTTC) 'will be' 40Mbps to 80Mbps (fibre to the cabinet)

Would have thought you'd get that on BT's Infinity ?

*saying that there are some quite fast Wireless-Fibre as they call it now cropping up.b

Did i read somewhere that the BT fiber was limited to 35meg :?

Im on 16 and tbh theres not that much difference to when it was 5meg. Upload speed ;) now theres were its at.

dyna-ti":112pfqi5 said:
Did i read somewhere that the BT fiber was limited to 35meg :?

Im on 16 and tbh theres not that much difference to when it was 5meg. Upload speed ;) now theres were its at.
Nope my quoted speed is "up to" 100meg, 76 actual but it would have been 40 if I went for the cheaper fibre to the cabinet option but I figured if I'm going to do it I may as well do it right. Didn't say nowt about a great big box bolted to the living room wall though!

legrandefromage":2icldkzt said:
and I get excited over 2.5 meg

I would be happy with that now. When we temporary went up to around 1.75 meg(don't ask me why) it seemed very fast.
I'm not a huge downloader via bit torrent etc and we only have 1 computer connected, so a relatively modest line would suffice here.
I wait & see what happens when the upgraded exchange get up and running. Maybe we'll speed up on our current package, who knows. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

HUGE thanks for all your advice & ideas :)

Richard

OK, quick update on this.
We have a new huge green box next door and all chaos outside of the last few days have disappeared.
Our speed has over doubled and they say it will be up and down till our "correct" speed has been found. I've just checked the download speed and can report that a shade short of 190 kb/sec can be achieved. I'm more than happy with that, but will let a few neighbours get infinity first until I decide to take the plunge.

Richard

legrandefromage":2ubpmp5s said:
I'm having to type this over my 3g phone as our fraudband has dropped to unusable levels

That's a a shame, we were unusable at times here. Hopefully it will be OK from now on. I just noticed our speed has dropped slightly, but not by much. Where about's are you in Cambs?
We're in Coveney, which is roughly 4 miles from Ely. Before that I lived in Eynesbury, near St.Neots. for around 15 years.

Back