danger on the trails!!! whats your stories?

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
just recently ive noticed quite a few posts,mainly on facebook of people creating potentially harmful trap on trails, wire across paths, screws in timber etc etc, really boils my piss and luckily ive only ever come across the odd tree laid across my path, has anyone ever witnessed serious accidents or similar hazards? and what can be done to stop them? :evil:

I once came across a wire stretched across. Ive an exceptionally keen eye for detail so i noticed something was amiss and slowed to a crawl and spotted it. Dark green heavy duty fencing wire. A public path so used but kids and commuters.
Had i caught the culprit i would have guaranteed he'd spend the rest of his days drinking his food as i would deliberately bash all his teeth in

We've not come across wires on our local rides, but at the end of last year while the nights were still bright and the trails had more and frequent traffic, we started finding more and more trees and branches dragged out and laid across the trails, one of our regular riders had an off on a popular section as we were heading down it, a huge tree trunk had been left in the middle, and covered over somewhat with leaves, he didnt see it till his wheel hit it and spat him over the bars!

Thankfully he was fine, but things like that truly boil my piss, if i ever caught anyone doing it, id bat them over the head with (insert whichever bike name i would be riding at the time here) lol

***Disclaimer, I probably wouldn't indulge in violent activities, the above statement is purely for keyboard heroics!***

Wow I am surprised by these discoveries I always assumed the "wire across the path" was an urban legend.

Nope, years ago, a guy on my milk round lost his voice (and amost his life) after hitting a wire on his motorcross bike :-(

WD :D

I don't know if discussing this might feed the nutters though.. Have to say I haven't seen this kind of thing first hand since I was a kid and an idiot cut trenches across the scrambling circuit we had worn in miles into the moors. They really didn't think that through, we just used the piles of peat and heather turf they had turned over as ramps!

In a world with so many brilliant and positive things to do, fancy spending time f***ing up other people's lives instead of just getting on with one's own. Losers.

In the case I mentioned above, I believe it was the farmer that wasn't happy with the noise :-(

WD Pro said:
Nope, years ago, a guy on my milk round lost his voice (and amost his life) after hitting a wire on his motorcross bike :-(

that happened to me on my cr 500 as some will no if I as full pelt on that brute I would have been cut in half

Seen wires across the path, both heavy duty nylon and fencing type wire.
Seen stuff deliberately dragged into the middle of the trail on a corner (i know it was as i had ridden past the same point, going the other way an hour previously)
Planks with nails in them buried in the trail/hidden under leaves.

Some of it in the peak district, some in the midlands (cannock etc), north yorks moors and yorkshire dales.

Thankfully, i no longer live in the UK, so most of my trails are pretty much deserted now, I barely have to share them at all :D

Latest posts

Back