one trail saboteur and his dog

Aeronaut

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Went out for a ride with a mate today for a few hours. The sun was shining, it was perfect afternoon to hit some trails :cool:

It wasn't long and we veered from the fire road entering into the forrest, sniffing the way through some well worn routes on a general heading. The trails were very thin at this point with lots of growth either side with plenty of obstacles there to keep you occupied.

Parts of the route were becoming familiar and more downhill so it was nice to dart through, in and out with the dappled light coming through the canopy all around. There were plenty of sharp turns to slow down for, and lucky too!
I could hear the sound of branches and movement whilst approaching one part. We were freewheeling at this point and slowing for the turn not prepared for what lay ahead around the corner..
There was some stupid old guy laying branches across the trail!!! :twisted: Just could not believe what i was witnessing, actually catching someone in the act out to potentially harm riders!

A lot of this kinda thing goes on here. Normally we just hop over them and move the larger obstacles for any riders following, but to see it happening right on front of me is something that wasn't expected. I assume he was a disgruntled local with a hatred for cyclists using his local patch of woods.. thats all i can think of.
He looked a bit startled knowing he'd been caught though, not saying much other than "BIKES!" and blaming his act on riders running over his dog or something :? ..all crap! He certainly pissed me right off to say the least but what could i do other than give him a piece of my mind in what was a very peaceful surrounding. Stupid F**kin old fart! It was hardly the place to walk the dog as it was well out of his way and not somewhere you'd see any walkers let alone some nutcase.
I certainly don't discriminate age btw but he was retarded with nothing better to do with his poor lonely life on a nice day. He obviously does it a lot in preparation for the weekends fun.

He did a great job though i give him that. It must have taken some time to lay his traps all along the route. Some branches were even bent down over the trail at neck height to catch those unaware. Just wish now i'd have taken his picture and that of some of his handywork. I was too fuming at the time to think... but certainly won't forget his cranky lookin face, and the dog the poor thing.

Tracks were cleared though until next time anyway and other than that the ride was great :)
We both sank a cold beer when we got back..

That's really bad.

You should have said something to the guy though. Potential to make him realise not all mountainbikers deserve decapitation

lewis1641":2t4ap94g said:
That's really bad.

You should have said something to the guy though. Potential to make him realise not all mountainbikers deserve decapitation

Absolutely
Namely by wrapping one of those branches round the side of his head.
Tell him you'll eat his dog if he ever comes back :twisted:

Are these bridleways or just forest tracks? You really should report him either way, because it is attempted GBH

@tintin- it's Epping Forest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epping_Forest

@Lewis- I did swear a fair bit but some people just can't be dealt with in a civil manner unfortunately.. well not him, plus he wouldn't have had a viable answer for his actions either nor see sense. It seems this kind of thing has been going on for some time now.

@dyna-ti- Wrapping a branch around his noggin was an afterthought but we'd gone separate ways by the time i'd thought of it :) damn! The foxes could have finished him off!

@Easy-Rider- They're a mixture of both but the bridleways are clearly marked as such. The forest tracks seem to be well worn even though there are always new ones being found.
I am tempted to try and go the same time next week and see if he's there doing it again,..creature of habit n all that ;)

Certainly worth reporting it to the City of London bods/rangers with an approximate location. If for nothing else, for deliberately damaging the trees.

:evil: just read this again. What a complete tool.

I understand what you mean when you say that some people you just can't talk to.

It happens all over, even the Vancouver North Shore.

Well, nearly all over - I've never seen any evidence of it around here.
Walkers that I've met on "my" trails always seem to like the fact that I've created new routes that they can use - I enjoy walking, as well as riding, them too, and a lot of my maintenance is done when my able assistant and I are out walking.

The ones (if any) that would be most likely to object would be "come-overs" - they'd just get the standard reply of "if you don't like it, there's a boat every day, yessir" :p

Edit* Broken link hopefully fixed :oops:

Back