First Tom Sharpe, now Iain Banks

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
One of the greatest satirical writers died earlier this week and now the death of Iain Banks has been announced.

I will re-read all of Tom's work and also Raw Spirit by Iain Banks.

R.I.P.

Showing the frank attitude to mortality that his fans have come to expect, Banks said he had started driving "flash cars" again in light of his illness: "I decided that – as it looked like I was going to be saving on the next 20/30 years of personal carbon output – I could indulge myself a bit."
Banks revealed that he has bought a BMW M5 V10 with 500 horsepower, and will be "back to scudding round the Highland roads again with a big grin on my fizzog (well, when I can grin, and the acceleration/braking force isn’t distorting my face like somebody taking part in an early NASA rocket sled experiment)."

Telegraph 21 may. R.I.P

Tom Sharpe went to my boarding school and as an esteemed old boy, came back to give a lecture on his writing, experiences etc. He turned up so pissed he fell asleep in the middle of a sentence!! I've read a few of his books and they are bloody funny. Not read any Iain Banks, but can appreciatw what a great loss either of them are.

RIP

Back