Painted Roundabouts

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
You know the flat ones made out of a painted white circle to show priority, give way to the right.

So why do some people try and drive around them as though there's a concrete kerb all around the edge?

Sorry, I can't stand people who act as if they are not there and undercut them.

Alison

Robbied196":2saaa66t said:
You know the flat ones made out of a painted white circle to show priority, give way to the right.

So why do some people try and drive around them as though there's a concrete kerb all around the edge?

'Cos if it is wet and I ride across the painted circle whilst turning right, the front wheel washes out, and I fall off my bike.

Robbied196":2amctpk3 said:

Because you are suppose to, its still a roundabout, you can only go over it if your vehicle cannot go round it, like a bus or lorry.
It allows others to get on while you are still around.

There's one near us, that forces you to drive straight across it due to design and placement on the road. I followed a police car over it this morning, and he didn't move his steering wheel to attempt to drive 'round' it either...

FluffyChicken":lw281ozr said:
Robbied196":lw281ozr said:

Because you are suppose to, its still a roundabout, you can only go over it if your vehicle cannot go round it, like a bus or lorry.
It allows others to get on while you are still around.

Correct! ;)

GT-Steve":2x4ztyht said:
There's one near us, that forces you to drive straight across it due to design and placement on the road. I followed a police car over it this morning, and he didn't move his steering wheel to attempt to drive 'round' it either...

The police force do have a few shit drivers after all they are human ;)

Interesting. I asked because I was behind a Volvo estate this morning who was trying to negotiate his way around one. As its about 5' in diameter it was quite amusing watching a Volvo estate try to get around it. Unfortunately, the guy waiting at the next exit thought the Volvo was turning left and almost pulled out in front of him.

Painted mini roundabouts, another great bit of Road Safety :LOL:

IIRC.. Under the Road Traffic Act, driving over the white paint of an island without good reason (vehicle length) is an offence. A fixed penalty notice could be issued..

they have no different legal precedent to any larger roundabout, and are marked with a blue circular sign giving a positive instruction to travel round them in a clockwise manner......any deviation from this is technically an offence under the road traffic act.....often though a vehicle turning right has to clip the roundabout to turn right as this is the only way of avoiding the kerb on the left hand side.......

they seem to have been placed at sites that were originally marked as t junctions, and used along with speed bumps to slow things down a bit as traffic levels have raised in recent years.....on a daily basis i have to discourage learners from going over them or on the wrong side of them to turn right, it appears to be a bad habit subconciously learned from the example set by other motorists who cant be bothered to get things right for the sake of extra safety.....another problem is the loss of view to the right in a situation where a mini roundabout has set the give way line further back than it was designed to be when the junction was a standard 't' junction......garden fences and bushes then restrict a view.....

regarding cambered mini roundabouts, surely any road user effected by the camber (the 2 wheeled variety) by the nature of their width has plenty of space to get around the roundabout without going over it?

although it does not contravene any legal precedent, it also amazes me how many people feel it acceptable to try and 'u' turn at small roundabouts.....there is often little room causing a driver to have to reverse a bit whilst turning, and catching drivers out, with little time to think, who assume the driver is turning right and take the opportunity to go....... :?

Back