Ebay auctions relisted.

Ebay seems to be getting more dubious buyers and sellers as time goes on.

My wife sells quite a bit of stuff and recently she has had a lot of people doing things like returning goods claiming they are fake, or returning shoes saying they are the wrong size, she always gets her money back through Paypal, but it's the messing about. Some people obviously think Ebay is the same as M&S, and if you don't like an item, or in the case of one hand bag, you've used it for the weekend, then you can just return it.

I had a great one earlier this week. I was the only bidder on a crankset, as always I paid as soon as the auction was finished.

Five minutes later I got an e-mail from the seller, telling me that he was refunding my money, as with TEN SECONDS to go he had seen there were no bidders and sold the cranks to a friend who works at a bike shop! WTF?

I phoned ebay about that one, I won't get the cranks, but they needed to know what the dick was up to.

NeilM":m1rfud1o said:
I phoned ebay about that one, I won't get the cranks, but they needed to know what the dick was up to.

Well done, the only hope of seeing any changes with Ebay practises is if people start complaining. I think part of the problem is that Ebays advertising and publicity gives the impression that Ebay is a shop, despite most of the sales being by auction.

Ebay were very pleased I'd rung them and told me that not only had the seller breached their terms, he had also broken distance selling regulations, as I had bought and paid for the goods before he contacted me.

I didn't believe his 'ten seconds' story and e-mailed him to that effect, he just came back with more bullspit, so I left with ebay to sort out.

I've yet to have any probs with ebay but the more I read this site lately the more worried I become about using ebay :(

I hope I don't encounter any dodgy dealings

Alison

Isaac_AG":3uz19ib2 said:
I've yet to have any probs with ebay but the more I read this site lately the more worried I become about using ebay :(

I hope I don't encounter any dodgy dealings

Alison
Same here.

NeilM":3bo14cpv said:
Some people obviously think Ebay is the same as M&S, and if you don't like an item, or in the case of one hand bag, you've used it for the weekend, then you can just return it.

In theory, that's what the eBay returns policy is for - you can state whether or not you will accept returns on items which you sell. For example, if I sell any used clothes or bikes/parts, I always state that returns will not be accepted unless the item is significantly not as described, and I make sure that the item description is 100% accurate.

Provided that you describe the item correctly, then in theory the buyer shouldn't be able to return it if they don't like it/claim it doesn't fit or whatever.

I say in theory, because most of the time eBay & PayPal completely ignore this fact and decide in favour of the buyer should a dispute ever arise :roll:

Barneyballbags":3jpjloum said:
[
In theory, that's what the eBay returns policy is for - you can state whether or not you will accept returns on items which you sell. For example, if I sell any used clothes or bikes/parts, I always state that returns will not be accepted unless the item is significantly not as described, and I make sure that the item description is 100% accurate.

This is true, but there seems to be a few folk who buy stuff, then decide after it's arrived that they don't want it, and so come up with some excuse and try to get a refund, like "I normally take shoe size x, but thought that these in x-1 might fit" Errr well they didn't did they, and that's not really my fault now, is it? (this is real and we've had others of a similar nature).

All of that said, I have bought hundreds of items of all sorts from ebay, and the only two real problems I can remember (other than my only dealings with China!) have been with cranks; one pair described as Middleburn RS8 that turned out to be RS4, where the guy did offer a full refund, and then the plonker the other night who did / didn't sell me some SRAM cranks.

Latest posts

Back