Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:48 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 12 months on...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:55 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am
Posts: 946
Location: Swansea/Birmingham
Its a year since Steve Jobs passed away, can't believe it, that has flown by!
By all accounts he was a bit of a tyrant but a true innovator that wouldn't accept anything less than the best by pushing people to their limits and for that I salute him.
I wonder what he would make of the iPhone 5

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:15 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 16165
Location: Rurally close.
He wasnt alone in creating apple!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:21 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am
Posts: 946
Location: Swansea/Birmingham
yeah, but Wozniak couldn't handle the pressure that Jobs created


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:40 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:27 pm
Posts: 1421
Location: mid cheshire
I think the true driving force behind apple is whoever is in charge of their PR.

if you say something with enough conviction, people will believe you. Apple tell people their products are amazing with a lot of conviction but the majority of folk I know have had problems with every single device they sell.

Jobs was a very clever bloke, it is only fitting he remembered for the positive things he has done however i'd be pretty irked if i look down when i'm gone & people only associate me with shiny things that break frequently!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:03 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am
Posts: 946
Location: Swansea/Birmingham
jax13 wrote:
I think the true driving force behind apple is whoever is in charge of their PR.

if you say something with enough conviction, people will believe you. Apple tell people their products are amazing with a lot of conviction but the majority of folk I know have had problems with every single device they sell.

Jobs was a very clever bloke, it is only fitting he remembered for the positive things he has done however i'd be pretty irked if i look down when i'm gone & people only associate me with shiny things that break frequently!


that person was Jobs, but his conviction was backed up by products that just worked and his constant drive for perfection, never had any problems with Apple products myself apart from issues that I've created, like dropping shit & breaking it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:28 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:33 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Highlands
The whole Apple "it just works" thing irritates me immensely - it's just not true. Apple products, expensive and shiny as they are, still contain buggy software, really stupid design decisions, deliberate handicaps and faulty hardware.

The only Apple product I have any admiration for is the Macbook Pro, and only from a user's point of view... bought one for my wife's last "special" birthday, it went faulty (hardware fault) within the first few months. Any other PC might have, too, sure, but that's not my point.

I really hate having to fix Apple stuff - it's almost always horrible to work on (putting fancy looks before engineering, deliberately making things non-serviceable) and getting parts can be an expensive or impossible nightmare - the company themselves are truly awful to deal with if you dare to leave their script.

Steve Jobs was a great salesman - beginning and end of story really. Not a good designer, not a good engineer, not a great programmer. Sorry for the little rant, but the way people get so willingly sucked into the cult of Apple genuinely disturbs me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:14 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:27 pm
Posts: 1421
Location: mid cheshire
ajm wrote:
the way people get so willingly sucked into the cult of Apple genuinely disturbs me!


this is my biggest problem with the company.

the products don't just work either. remember the iphone 4 aerial issue - "people aren't holding the phone correctly" was the official response I believe! the first run of iphones had volatile batteries that did, on occasion explode whilst in use / in a pocket. how did apple deal with these problems? they threatened lawsuits against their customers if they went to the media with the story. ipad... no usb, not expandable, lack of features but still the best thing since sliced bread!!! ipad 2... halfway there but i know, lets not put an hd screen on it - we can do that in 8 months time and sell the suckers another 'new' product! the list goes on.

my final rant-based point on apple is my mates macbook pro. he had battery & charging issues with it, took it to the apple store and was told... the polythene sleeve around the charger they put on to protect it was causing it to overheat & not charge properly. I asked the genius what would happen if he was to use it through the summer when the ambient temperature was higher or if he used a wall socket next to a radiator and the guy looked blankly at me and said "err..." his response to my statement of "how can £1.2k of laptop be rendered useless by 4 inches of plastic wrap" was... "err...". at least 80% of the people i know who have apple products have had issues with them, in most cases pretty significant ones. my boss is on his 3rd iphone4, my mate is on his 3rd battery & 4th charger for the pro, another mates ipad drops battery life when its on charge if you try and use it, my old mans ipad has been turned into a picture frame he got that fed up with it & most other people have had to take phones back to the shop for replacement or repair to battery or charger socket or in a lot of cases software & account issues that they couldn't resolve themselves.

there is a saying about rolling a turd in glitter that is very, very apt for apple products (and up until about 1999/2000 I used apples and preferred them to pc's so my views aren't simply out of spite for the company. I genuinely think their products are purposefully under-equipped & overpriced.)

but back to steve jobs... thanks for pixar!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:38 am 
eBay Outing Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 pm
Posts: 8000
Jobs created Apple with a few friends, however he was clever enough to hire the best people in their fields to innovate new products such as Sir Jonathan Ive

In many ways like Boris Johnson...his first skill was public image and promotion, his second skill was building a team of very talented people around him


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:17 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am
Posts: 946
Location: Swansea/Birmingham
Sorry, but I don't accept any of your arguments, Apple products do 'just work'. The missus had an IBM Thinkpad for work a few years ago but when she brought it home and we tried to use it on our home wifi network we had nothing but problems connecting it and ended up having to change the network set up and security settings to allow it join, never had that problem with any Apple product, she now uses a MacBook running Parallels for her work programs.

A month ago I stepped on my MacBook Pro and cracked the glass that sits in front of the screen (I was drunk at the time occifer and stupidly left it on the floor) The new glass cost me £26 to buy and armed with nothing more than a hairdryer and a plastic spudger managed to remove the old glass and replace it.

sylus wrote:
In many ways like Boris Johnson...his first skill was public image and promotion, his second skill was building a team of very talented people around him

Boris Johnsons skills are public image & promotion???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:01 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: Shrewsbury
ajm wrote:
The whole Apple "it just works" thing irritates me immensely - it's just not true. Apple products, expensive and shiny as they are, still contain buggy software, really stupid design decisions, deliberate handicaps and faulty hardware.

The only Apple product I have any admiration for is the Macbook Pro, and only from a user's point of view... bought one for my wife's last "special" birthday, it went faulty (hardware fault) within the first few months. Any other PC might have, too, sure, but that's not my point.

I really hate having to fix Apple stuff - it's almost always horrible to work on (putting fancy looks before engineering, deliberately making things non-serviceable) and getting parts can be an expensive or impossible nightmare - the company themselves are truly awful to deal with if you dare to leave their script.

Steve Jobs was a great salesman - beginning and end of story really. Not a good designer, not a good engineer, not a great programmer. Sorry for the little rant, but the way people get so willingly sucked into the cult of Apple genuinely disturbs me!


Maybe an 'in your experience' point of view, but never encountered any problem with a mac and I've used them solidly since 1990.

I work for a large sign company now which have 9 macs and 12 PC's, the oldest mac is 20 years and sits in the corner chugging along. In the past 12 years we've had zero call outs to any of the macs but I would say a PC engineer is out 4/5 times a year.

That's my experience :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FairfaxPat, Google [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group