Environmental ammunition for the anti everything brigade!

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
*DISCLAIMER* This is wildly unscientific!

I am a fairly environmentally aware chap.

I cycle most place I need to go within 10 miles of home.
I recycle any waste from the house I reasonably can.
I have energy saving light bulbs everywhere.

However I am in a quandry. I want a BMW M3.
So I did some research and thought this may be of interest.

A new car takes on average 1.2 tonnes of CO2 to produce (not including electricity or steel and aluminuim manufacture). This can be rounded up to 2 tonnes to include all these hidden factors and transportation to the dealers forecourt. A hybrid takes more as fuel cell manufacture is one of the most energy intensive process' currently being undertaken (thought his will improve with better technology in the future).

A 'eco friendly' Toyota Prius is rated at 114g co2/km. (2007 model)
A BMW 3.2 M3 is rated at 287g co2/km. (2001 model)

Last year I travelled 12500 miles by car (20116km)
By Prius this would generate 2293224g co2 or 230kg for easy numbers.
By M3 this would generate 5773292g co2 or 578kg for easy numbers.

Therefore it would take a Prius nearly 9 years to emit the same pollution as created by it's manufacture.
Though it would take the M3 only 3 and a half.

However as the M3 already exists I can argue that the M3 starts with 2 tonnes in the bank so to speak, therefore a new Prius would take quite a while to catch up!

Add to this the fact that I have old bikes too and I can feel a little bit pleased. Not so smug now is the dude with the Prius and the brand new bike! :LOL:

I am of course aware that I could reduce my carbon footprint a lot more by buying a used small car but the point is that you can have your cake and (providing you are willing to be a little responsible) eat it!

Go green, go M3! :LOL:

Attachments

• KR52YEG2799s.jpg
    KR52YEG2799s.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 984
Please. Just get the M3 and enjoy. You only live once (as far as we living know)
Can i come down a see when you buy. Sweet BMer :cool:

And as soon as you buy the M3 carbon footprint and Co2 emissions and all that other bla bla bla will go straight out the window as soon as hit the throttle, its unavoidable fun, enjoy :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

does the Prius' figures include the co2 emitted by the powerstation to charge it up with electricity?? ;)

orange71":3hk1qh8l said:
does the Prius' figures include the co2 emitted by the powerstation to charge it up with electricity?? ;)

And to dispose of the batteries at the end of their (5 year) working life?

Back