1991 Claud Butler Spirit 400

WideSam

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I’ve recently been making a gravel type bike from an bike my parents had sat around in the garden. While trying to do some research on the bike I came across this forum via this viewtopic.php?f=9&t=141351
I realised the bike had virtually all original parts, even down to the red cable outers.
If I were to put it back to the original parts, or indeed do any sort of resto-mod type thing (I’ve also spent far too much time watching Old Shovel’s videos on YouTube), would it be of any interest to anybody?
If it were to be sold it would be to fund the basis of another project, so really want to know if it would be worth my time or just keep going it as something fun and look for another project alongside.
I’ve included the one picture I took before I started tearing it down, but kept a big box full of the parts (I’m sure a lot of you are accustomed to) so can show more details if need be.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 6B6C921C-2723-48D9-ABB1-618390B72EC8.jpeg
    6B6C921C-2723-48D9-ABB1-618390B72EC8.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 654
Its quite a big frame but all cleaned and ready to ride you'd be better off putting on ebay given the current market for good clean bicycles

It looks like its lost the original chainset - however, given what clean bikes are fetching, sell it to fund something you may actually want

Morning, nice looking Spirit you have there..
But 4th in a range of 6 that year and with 501 tubing, unfortunately it won’t be worth much. And to shift it you will most likely have to put it all back together again and offer postage.

Seeing as you’ve already stripped it down, you would probably sell the parts more quickly and male more money... sad but true.

PS, not wanting to seem like a vulture, but if the grips are the original with “Claud Butler” embossed in them & in good condition, I’d have them off you.

Thanks for the responses guys!

The picture is quite flattering, it’s certainly well used. I think I’ll use it as I’ve built it until a find the right frame for me, then put this back together and sell it as a whole bike to clear the space.

Peachy, I’ll take a look at them today for you

Normally it's the sort of bike I'd see advertised for £50-70, but at the moment ive seen similar bikes advertised for almost double that, not to say they sell at that price though.
Clean and original is best, offering postsge/delivery will open up a lot more buyers too.

Peachy!":29ql3loc said:
PS, not wanting to seem like a vulture, but if the grips are the original with “Claud Butler” embossed in them & in good condition, I’d have them off you.

Not another set?! ;)

jimo746":3hp4e5q4 said:
Not another set?! ;)

The appetite of “The Queue” will never be satiated! :eek:

Peachy!":i1g4bgw1 said:
Morning, nice looking Spirit you have there..
But 4th in a range of 6 that year and with 501 tubing, unfortunately it won’t be worth much. And to shift it you will most likely have to put it all back together again and offer postage.

Seeing as you’ve already stripped it down, you would probably sell the parts more quickly and male more money... sad but true.

Are these what you’re looking for?

Attachments

• 70086B20-8B71-41F9-83CD-DFA019E38D58.jpeg
    70086B20-8B71-41F9-83CD-DFA019E38D58.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 569
Yup, I’ll send you a PM

Peachy!":34i75v8c said:
Yup, I’ll send you a PM

Got your PM, can’t reply to it (I’ve not been a member long enough?). Haven’t tried taking them off yet, I’ll give it a go over the next day or 2 and let you know how I get on!

Back