Digital Pianos anyone?

Neil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Anyone got one, recommend one, got opinions on them?

Not talking about synths, digital keyboards, or organs, just true digital pianos (ie 88 keys, weighted hammer action type doofers).

I'm following this thread now. Never even knew there was such a niche. Always fancied learning piano but since shifting a couple ( you hum it son, I'll play it ) never fancied owning an " analogue " one.

Agency_Scum":2btvwd7x said:
I'm following this thread now. Never even knew there was such a niche. Always fancied learning piano but since shifting a couple ( you hum it son, I'll play it ) never fancied owning an " analogue " one.

Oddly, it's not so much niche, now - they're often used in schools and by music teachers, so perhaps mainstream rather than niche.

Purists will wibble about purity of sound, but convenience, size, no need for tuning or worry about the environment the piano is in, ability to practice with headphones on, and price are all good reasons.

I have a real piano, my interest is more for convenience, practice, and being able to easily site in another room in the house - so I'm not thinking of anything particularly high end, as it's not going to be my sole piano, I've been considering some of the entry level Casio (CDP range - CDP-120 currently looks favourite) and Yamaha basic digi pianos.

Agency_Scum":23xpuucn said:
Tell me ( gently ), what sort of price are they?

Prices can be quite modest, partly the reason for their ever increasing popularity. I'm just considering an entry level one, new, about the £300 mark. I've also considered what spending a bit more would offer me, so I haven't totally made up my mind - it's just that when I consider what spending more gives me, it's either attributes I'm not bothered about, or things that may matter if you didn't already have a real piano / digi piano to be your sole piano.

They seem to hold their value, so haven't really seen much in the way of second hand bargains. So at the entry level at least, I'm not convinced by buying second hand.

I have a piano already, so with it being supplemental, entry level would do me fine. You can spend much more than that, though, on them - but for most, I suspect - beyond a certain point it's diminishing returns, plus you'd probably be better served by spending lots of money on a real piano.

Went for this one, in the end:-

Casio Celviano AP-245

Limited run of another model (AP-250) badged up as a different model number, with a fair bit axed off the price.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eal8j-qEq0k[/youtube]

Just spotted this thread as I'm sitting at:
e599aec2ea6c3c69f5ec7b9a0b7ba6d7_zps8b066b29.jpg

Which needs selling as it doesn't get used

The History Man":345lsijl said:
Just spotted this thread as I'm sitting at:
e599aec2ea6c3c69f5ec7b9a0b7ba6d7_zps8b066b29.jpg

Which needs selling as it doesn't get used

What make / model is that?

I only started looking at digital pianos in the last few months, so I'm far from familiar. What I would say, is that looking at them on the used market, they seemed to all command a fair price - none seemed to be at truly bargaintastic values. That said, I don't know how well / easily they sold, and that may not be quite as potent for digital pianos that were pretty expensive from new.

So that might cut both ways - it probably is still worth a reasonable amount, although how well they shift is another matter.

The reasonable residuals is what pushed me towards new, rather than thinking I could get more for my money on the used market - which leads on to something else I discovered - the technology, at least in terms of the sound (not necessarily the actual keyboard or action) seems to improve, year-on-year, at quite a substantial rate.

GLWS.

As something of an update, I've put plenty of hours in with my main digital piano:-

Some months back, I bought a keyboard to use on an X frame stand in my bedroom. Ended up not getting any use out of it - it didn't seem relevant, as it only had 61 keys, and wasn't a piano action. So I was keeping my eyes open for a cheap, slab based digital piano.

Then Casio started selling the PX-150 with the official stand and pedal board at a very decent price, was enough to tip me over the edge, and as a digital piano (in terms of actions, features, controls and abilities) is identical to my main digital piano, even if "packaged" differently, I ended up splurging on one for upstairs.

It's the more contemporary packaging / styling for a digital piano, so minimalist size and foot-print, but still the same 88-key action and width, just quite compact (many use the PX-150 and older brother PX-350 as stage digital pianos), although still with a compact stand (that's actually a smaller foot print than an X-frame stand), and with the 3 pedals.

Looks like this:-

Even at the entry level, digital pianos have become very impressive:-

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvAomcWYNN4[/youtube]

Attachments

• Casio AP250-1.JPG
    Casio AP250-1.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 2,249
  • Casio-Privia-PX150-Black-1.jpg
    Casio-Privia-PX150-Black-1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2,249
Good evening,

My daughter recently completed her Grade One piano exams and my mother is buying her a piano for Christmas. I should mention that my mother wants her to have something lasting that she will remember her by - this is her justification for the expense. I think it costs around £1300 in ebony but is around £1000 for the same piano in black. Ebony seems to be expensive!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BPEU2FS/r ... 4ELC5632B9

The piano is being bought from a local shop but is the same as the link.

Richard

Back