Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:43 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:57 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Picked up my first retro MTB the other week.

Had one of these when I was a kid (not sure if it was a 220 or higher as it had some fancier parts on), given to me from my Grandad, I used, abused and forgot about it. The last couple years I've wanted to find one again so I've been searching on and off and finally managed to find this little gem:

Ridden it to work a couple times and decided to strip it down, clean and service it and, as is the way, has turned into a mini re-build.

Will be keeping it single speed but doing it properly with a Surly front ring attached to an LX crank matched to Shimano DX rear cog and velosolo spacer kit (originally had the original Altus A10 cheesy set with a cracked middle ring used as the single ring).

Outside of that I need to source a decent wheelset as the rims or toast and finish putting it back together. How she sits at the moment:

One minor thing I do want to address is that the one I had originally had been painted black with gold splatter and gold Alpinestars decals on, question is do I replicate this or keep it original as it is in pretty good condition as is? :?