lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
although fairly humble, this is a true dream bike for me.

when i was at school a tiny bike shop appeared in the village (manic mountain bikes) and they stocked khs. around this time i read a review of the montana pro in mbuk where the bike scored a 5/5 in every category(sadly i used to hang on their every word as an impressionable teen..)

i couldn't afford one at the time but i never forgot that bike. my desire for one was increased when my dad told me he fancied a new bike. i tried to convinvce him to buy a montana pro but he ended up with a montana summit which he still owns today.

just at a time when i was wanting to thin out my collection i was offered a frame and fork at a very reasonable price and i now have a bike of my (modest) dreams.
1z6ryg7.jpg

ny7hav.jpg

the forks are stripped and polished mag21's and look pretty cool but they may be replaced with rigid forks at some point.

my ultimate goal for this bike is to return it to catalogue spec but i also want it as a rider so in the meantime i am building it with parts from stock and as a singlespeed to keep the costs down in the short term.

i cant remember a great deal about the spec but i think they were m735 xt, zoom bars, stem and post, dia compe 987 cantis, panaracer smoke and dart tyres. not sure about the wheels and most of the other stuff but i'll find out somehow!

as lick would have it i have a reslly good smoke tyre so just need a dart and also a few weeks ago i bought 2 pairs of 987 new old stock cantis so at least i have a head start!

plans this week are to steal the single speed kit off longun's gt and fit it along with the 987 cantis mated to a pair of ritchey logic levers. wheels will be the originals off my 97 fire mountain, bottom bracket pillaged from my rts and the rest will be made up from bits laying around the shed.

if all goes to plan i think i can get this rolling for less than £20 further outlay

had a chance to have a bit more of a parts bin raid and fettle today.

cleaned up the wheels that came with my 97 kona fire mountain and removed the cassette in readiness for a single speed kit all but donated from longun later next week.

polished up a kalin seatpost which was donated from a forum member for my previous low budget karakorum (cant remember who but hopefully you know who you are!)

found a long lost quill stem adapter. i know they are ugly but it is a means to an end untill the proper catalogue build goes ahead.

bars are a set of leftover alpinestars. weigh a ton but they are nice and wide with a good sweep. toyed with the idea of some kolo titanium bars but they are way too narrow.

brake levers are a nos set of ritcheys left over again from the fire mountain build

finally fitted a 34 tooth ring to a kooka crank and slid it onta a bottom bracket left over from my fire mountain build. heres the result...
1zp5p8x.jpg

jujst noticed the rear quick release is the wrong way round!

broke out the NOS this afternoon. fitted the dia compe 987 cantis and psycho 2 tyres which were destined for my rts. i fitted the cantis because they were the correct ones fitted from new and the long term plan is to restore the bike.

heres a couple of quick pics. cant wait to ride it

2qu2aa9.jpg

eiox8n.jpg

laters

agreed the stem situation is not pretty but it will do until the correct one comes along. pm'd you about a few bits by the way

perry":3s4cbbju said:
looks good

wheels , forks , cranks really suit the blue :D

cheers bud. alas none of it was planned that way - its just what was on the shed floor!

Re: khs montana pro ss project

lewis1641":25079fdp said:
around this time i read a review of the montana pro in mbuk where the bike scored a 5/5 in every category(sadly i used to hang on their every word as an impressionable teen..)

I remember the Montana Pro for the very same reason. Were they also a bit lighter than the competition? Frame looks in good condition. Look forward to seeing the final build

they are a pretty light frame. this one is in ok condition but definatley has its battlescars!

almost done now but had a small disaster - i have broken the spring in the tensioner but i have bodged it so its tensioning the chain but doesnt spring.

chucked some spd's and a saddle on it and went round the block!

simples.

2sbwf9j.jpg

wb2vyv.jpg

Back