'95 cougar project! updated 12th of may

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
had this since new, this is it's third respray, it was originally the boardman team gan paint then white and yellow then this. i had it done a while ago but never got round to building it. so i started rooting through the parts boxes for as much of the original 8speed record that was on it as i could find, got the front mech, rear mech and the b/b unfortunately i sold the ergolevers and chainset, and the brakes, knob! :x

the stem is one i had lying around and the bars and egrolevers are from the spec that was on my cross bike a while ago but being 8speed ergos in the right shape they'll do fine and yes i will be removing the crosstop levers. i have also got the original wheels (record/open 4cd) but i think the vento's look so much better.

i know rebuilding this is gonna be a mistake, it's gonna be another expensive project! and i just ordered a new road bike from condor cycles aswell!!! bugger i just can't help myself!!! :D :LOL:

Attachments

• bikepics 004resize.jpg
    bikepics 004resize.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,207
  • bikepics 003resize.jpg
    bikepics 003resize.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,207
  • bikepics 002resize.jpg
    bikepics 002resize.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,207
  • bikepics 001resize.jpg
    bikepics 001resize.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,207
don't know about whizzing past! more like struggling tokeep going at the moment! seems like time is against me riding at the mo! :( although i did get 2 hours on the cross bike yesterday! :D

the nice thing about this bike is i already know it's gonna ride nice coz it was my main bike for 4 years from 95 to 99 before i got my fausto coppi galaxy (which i still have aswel :D ) but i'll get this done first before i go looking back at that one!

really chuffed with the paint on this one though, the pics don't do it justice, in the flesh i'd say it's one of the nicest paint jobs i have ever seen.

so today i finished the cougar, didn't build it how i was going to! :LOL:

basically with the new condor here i decided to swap quite a bit of stuff between bikes to get them where i wanted. so, the 10speed record went on the condor, then the 9speed record went on the D2, the 8speed record went on the lime, leaving the brand new veloce from the condor then went on the cougar! the reason i did this was cos the other way i'd have to buy alot of 8speed stuff and it also means the cougar and the condor a have interchangeable wheels between them without changing sprockets, i now have a spare set of mavic aksiums aswel! most of this part swapping has been done over the last few weeks though. :D

i did however use the record/nukeproof/open pro wheelset in this bike, it would look awful with the aksiums in it. the bar/stem and tape are all ITM, the post is an older xlite clickon, also the tyres are michelin bisinergy, utter shite but they'll do! :LOL:

really pleased with how it looks :D it won't get a huge amount of use but when it does it'll be a dry day!! :D it's one frame that will never get sold.

here's some pics

Attachments

• cougar rebuild 004resized.jpg
    cougar rebuild 004resized.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,955
  • cougar rebuild 003resized.jpg
    cougar rebuild 003resized.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,954
  • cougar rebuild 002resized.jpg
    cougar rebuild 002resized.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,955
  • cougar rebuild 001resized.jpg
    cougar rebuild 001resized.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,955
Nice job. Who did the paintwork?

Are those decals the ones off fleabay?

Mine needs abit of TLC, more than just new bar tape and cables methinks

this paint was done by colourtech near the dartford tunnel about five years ago but it never got rebuilt at the time. years ago i went to roberts for some paint (not knowing that colourtech were their painter at the time) and literally said "copy that!"after seeing it on one of the frames hug up, it was for an orbit 531 roadbike i had, 3 months later that frame cracked :cry: so when i went to get this done i took a pic of the orbit with me :D i love this paint, in the flesh it is beautiful and very deep looking and the fade is very good aswel.

glad you like :D

finally decided to do the right thing with this and start re-retro-ing it! :D

when i recently rebuilt it, it was with the modern veloce groupset from when i bought my condor (which got upgraded to record) but i had planned to put it back to being retro/original as and when the right parts became available.

basically i had sold (years ago) some of the original record 8 speed that was on it, the ergolevers, the chainset and the brakes :roll: stupid :oops:

anyway i managed to get hold of a mavic 631(?) chainset which is the right-ish era and i decided that my cyclo cross bike that has the remains of my 8 speed record on it was gonna get it's bits stolen (then rebuilt with the veloce) also it has athena shifters on it that have been converted to 8 speed from 9 speed, not only that but i had finally got round to building the goldtec campag fit hubs so the only thing i have to now is find some more period ish brakes.

anyway here's some pics :D

Attachments

• cougar.jpg
    cougar.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,335
  • cougar2.jpg
    cougar2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,335
  • cougar3.jpg
    cougar3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,335
Back