'my' '96 GT Backwoods build

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
There have been a few threads over the years (like this one) where I have been exploring the idea of recreating my long lost '96 Backwoods from, well, the late 90's.

To recap, my first proper bike that I saved for and bought myself, working a paper round, gardening for family etc and earning what I could. I wanted a GT, bit of brand envy I guess but they were just what you wanted. In early 97 the Cycle Centre in Congleton were setting up shop in Macclesfield and I was poking around, asking what I could do with my budget. Just so happened they had a last year model Backwoods at a knock down price, so off I scooted to Mongleton to take a peek. Saw, tried, wanted,deal was done. They brought it over to macc for me the following weekend and I bought it the say before the shop opened... Keen much?

Over the years the cacky alivio and acera parts mostly died and were upgraded. By the end the only original parts were the frame and saddle.

Eventually after serving for many years through all disciplines (including the Ashton / Hawes / Rey inspired trials phase (lots of pain) and keeping up with mates downhill against proper full sus and disc brake equipped kit, the frame cracked. Across the down tube an inch or so behind the head.

Retirement saw it loaned to my sister for a gentle life pootling along the promenade of Bournemouth. It was stolen at some point, never seen again.

Trying to find a suitable frame has taken some time, and I'm not quite there but close enough to start, so here goes.

One red ano GT Backwoods ready for a very non standard build.
I'll try to dig out some snaps of the old beast to upload for a guide :D

I'm resigned to not getting it 100% as some of the parts were cheap and just are not found these days, but I intend to get close!

Attachments

• Backwoods1.jpg
    Backwoods1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 4,135
Re:

I like this project. I bought a Zaskar LE because I always wanted one but now I want to build a 7005 aluminum GT. That way I would actually ride it.

I'm sort of the same. Got myself a zaskar that I'd wanted BITD but it's been work in (not much) progress for over a year now. I guess this will go the same way, slow progress when the parts and inclination are there, and other things getting in the way.

The riding is a whole different problem. I don't build garage queens so if I build it I build it to ride it. Trouble is I rarely get time to ride! My hope is that this is a playing about with the kids bike, trips to the park that sort of thing. So yeah, hopefully I can build it ready for the spring time adventures

Thanks for the offer Paul. The build is very non-standard, I’m being guided but not restricted to what it became rather than what it was, and as the spec changed on this fairly frequently it’s a bit of a moving target. When I was doing trials it was 8 speed with a 24 tooth granny ring and a home made bash guard, for example. I went through at least 3 rims on the rear wheel that I can recall (however the front wheel survived remarkably well, wore out rather than killed).

Spec I’m thinking will be:
Frame + fork: 96 GT Backwoods in red ano – sorted (thanks :D )

Rear wheel: Originally alivio on mavic 238, broke a few over the years but ended up running a black LX hub on grey Mavic 121 rim (which was solid as f$£k coz I built it) – sorted

Front wheel: The original which lasted forever was an acera hub I think on a mavic 238 rim, but can’t remember what I replaced it with. It was likely something cheap as the front wheel didn’t do a lot of work. Will likely go for a black LX hub matching the rear (which I think I have in the shed somewhere) just need to decide on a rim. Do I find a 121 to match with the rear or go for a basic silver like the old days? I have an odd silver rim in the shed which should fit the LX hub I think I have too so will likely go that way to start.

Bars: silver azonic – sorted

Headset: FSA yellow roller bearing job – can’t find one of these the same so far and I don’t hold out much hope of getting one. I have something I can use in black so that will do for now but I think silver would go better. Open to suggestions / offers here.

Stem: probably started as a basic GT branded job, I remember changing for a short jobbie at some point, acor or art or something. I have a yellow ART one ready to go so depending how much yellow gets in there it might be an option. I do have a silver ART one but that’s on the sintesi at the mo. Otherwise I have a couple of basic silver stems in the shed.

Shifters: Not certain here, IIRC the RH was a sachs wavey 8sp in yellow so would like to find one of those. Got some red waveys as a stand-in for now. Can’t remember what the LH was, will have to have a closer look at the old photos (if I can find them :facepalm: ) and try to work that out. Might have been a wavey too but black.

Mechs: rear was a black LX for some time, and I’ve got one of those in the box ready to go. Before LX it was STXRC, got one of those too, so will see how they clean up and work. Think it started off as STX. Front stayed as alivio for ages until I ripped it off on a tree, can’t remember what I replaced it with but probably something cheap. I have an LX to match the potential rear and I’m sure I can find a basic alivio or STX to pop in there if I go silver rather than black.

Brakes: Shimano V brakes without the parallelogram, pretty sure they were not branded as STX or LX or anything but could be wrong. Will do some digging and check details when I remember. But let’s face it, I will find some silver v brakes and that will do fine.

Seat: saddle was vetta trishock, have one of those, and the post was a basic silver alloy job so shouldn’t be too hard to sort that out. Depending on size I might have one in the spares box, fingers crossed.

Cranks: original alivio / acera set snapped (common fault I believe) and I replaced them with some FSA that were the same as the specialized OEM parts. I managed to find a tidy set on fleabay with good rings.

The yellow bits were pedals, headset (maybe shifters too) and I think there were yellow Onza grips. I have none of these now so I need to work out if this is the way to go. Pedals is easy, grips and headset I could do but they would likely not be the same Onza and FSA parts. I do have red pedals, shifters and grips so maybe a variation to the template is in order. Doubt it, too much red that way I think.

I remember running the rear tyre with another narrower bald tyre with the bead cut off inside it for reinforcement. I ran it at very low pressure and never got a puncture or snakebite but it wasn’t a light solution. Might do that again just for giggles. Thinking about it, I have a feeling that the old conti survival pro tyre I have in the shed was fitted on this frame for a bit. I wonder if it fits….?

Got a few minutes yesterday so managed to get the frame cleaned down a bit and take a closer look. There are a few marks so it's certainly not shop fresh this one but in fairness to its 21 years it's not all that bad.

The parts are coming together nicely, I'll get some snaps up shortly

Re: Re:

Lhatch4":3rjnhjow said:
I like this project. I bought a Zaskar LE because I always wanted one but now I want to build a 7005 aluminum GT. That way I would actually ride it.

thats like not having sex with your partner..... why!!!!!build it ... ride it!

Re: Re:

patersondj":1nb5buqn said:
Lhatch4":1nb5buqn said:
thats like not having sex with your partner..... why!!!!!build it ... ride it!

Youv'e not met my wife :D

I see his point though. I reckon for messing about with the kids in the park I might actually chose the zaskar over the kids if someone decided to make off with it.
Plus its a slow build that isn't getting any faster, I still haven't finished polishing the frame! This one should be a bit quicker to finish (he says optimistically) as I just need to gather a few parts and stick them together.

It's basically stock and in decent shape as it sits. I like it that way. The reason I don't ride it is because old rockshox Judy SL's are not very good. The stock handlebar is very narrow. It has very expensive and hard to replace XTR M900 parts that I don't want to replace. It also has the original ball burnished aluminum finish that has never been polished. It's a survivor. I have ridden it around my neighborhood and I do get enjoyment out of it. Also I have other bikes that just ride better. I don't want to constantly worry about damaging the bike on a trail. If I had a 1973 Porsche 911S I would still drive my Toyota daily, not because it's a better car but because the Toyota is a better daily driver.

Few parts ont he shipping list:

Looking for a front mech, either STX / STXRC or LX would do. 31.8mm clamp and bottom pull.

I have some silver Vs but they are diacompe rather than shimano, same but different. If anyone has a set of silver basic V's going spare I could be interested.

Front wheel I have the hub and a suitable rim. Could be interested in a grey 121 rim though

Can't find a yellow headset so will have to settle for a black one. Unless someone has one squirreled away?

Grips - if anyone has a set of yellow onza grips i might be interested

Ta

Back