BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
A friend, who is a forum member here, was kind enough to do me a nice deal and agree to ship this over from Canada a few weeks back.
It was mentioned in the 1990 Kona catalogue that the Explosif was available with customs options for braze-ons, paint and components.

I've seen a few custom painted Explosifs over the years but I've never seen one with custom braze ons. This one has both :) My current collection leans heavily towards Canadian brands so I am really pleased to add this to the fleet; although The Bicycle Group relationship didn't have a happy ending it's great, from a historical point of view, to see this frameset linking the Kona and Brodie brands together.

The iconic Art Dept decal on the non drive side chainstay identifies the paint as the work of Art Tyler, Brodie's artist at the time. The yellow splatter over the decal cements it's authenticity.

The cable entry into the Velocity stem bears a striking resemblance to that of the stems coming out of Brodie HQ, although the entry point is head on rather than offset.

The rear brake noodle is all Brodie.

More to follow as I mull this one over :)

Re: Custom 1990 Kona Explosif

:shock: :cool: again! Very nice :cool:

Mark

Re:

Early years Kona was very parasitic.
Didn't have an original idea amongst them.
Good example of this right here.
Were lovingly referred to as `poor mans Brodies'. :LOL:
All that aside, nice bike for the collection.
Looking forward to seeing your build.

Re: Re:

Retro_Roy":2qs8bzue said:
Early years Kona was very parasitic.
Didn't have an original idea amongst them.
Good example of this right here.
Were lovingly referred to as `poor mans Brodies'. :LOL:

Blimey. This sounds like this merits another dedicated thread. I'd be very interested for one.

Great score Adrian. Definitely an interesting link from The Bike Group era - looking forward to hearing more about it :)

Yeah, this is really a nice one. I love the yellow splatter :cool:
Cheers,
Marco

Back