1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex to

Rocky1977

Dirt Disciple
Hi Folks,

after a long time of building up my Rocky Vertex to from 1996, it´s nearly finished.

What to say about the bike?

In 1996 I saw an Vertex to and felt in love. For me it was the most beutiful bike ever, but tooooooo expensive. It was adream for over 15 years. In 2013 I found a frame in great condition on ebay germany. I new this would be to expensive, but I will give it a try. What to say, I bought the frame for a very nice price. I started to build my dream.

In the german forum I had the luck to find the original Magura Brakes in Judy yellow, a Judy SL in great and working condition.

I got the yellow cranks from a bike shop around my corner. I went there to let them press in the NoThreadSet. The owner has see the frame and showed up the cranks then. Never ridden. They had them from an old Cannondale and the owner of the Cannondale didn´t want them, lucky me :D

The Components

Frame: 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex to (original paint job)
Fork: Judy SL LT
Cranks: Race Face LP with Specialites chainring 46-36-24
BB: Race Face steel
Pedals: Ritchey WCS clipless
Drivetrain: XTR 900, Grip Shift SRT600, KMC X9SL Chain
Wheels: Cheap Shimano, has to be changed (last parts to change)
Tires: IRC Mythos XC redwall
Quick Release: Tune
Seatpost: Syncros Hardcore
Stem: Syncros
Handlebar: Race Face Air Carbon
Grips: Grip shift
Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet
Other components: Onza Bar Ends, some red Aluminum bolts

aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5tdGItbmV3cy5kZS9mMy8yMS8yMTI2LzIxMjY4NjEteWJkbjh4am9lOHpwLXAxMTQwNDk5LW9yaWdpbmFsLmpwZw.jpg

aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMi5tdGItbmV3cy5kZS9mMy8yMS8yMTI2LzIxMjY4NjItb3FmYjVoMmhqb3QzLXAxMTQwNTI0LW9yaWdpbmFsLmpwZw.jpg

:cool: if i was to be honest, despite all the exotica out there, the "96 Vertex TO was my dream race bike back in "96. Still one of the top 2 bikes on my watchlist :)

Personally i would have to spec it with "96 parts but then would probably just look at it, not too hard though, just in case it snapped :LOL:

Lovely condition, would be good to see some close ups of the frame/paint.

Mark

Nice! I like everything about that build. From the hydraulic brakes to the clear grips and race face parts, it's all great. I swear, just when I think I see the most amazing retro another one pops up.

Re:

Thanks for your great answers :D

mkone":27as2lrj said:
:cool: if i was to be honest, despite all the exotica out there, the "96 Vertex TO was my dream race bike back in "96. Still one of the top 2 bikes on my watchlist :)

Personally i would have to spec it with "96 parts but then would probably just look at it, not too hard though, just in case it snapped :LOL:

Lovely condition, would be good to see some close ups of the frame/paint.

Mark

Let me have a look if I will finde some closer pics of the frame. The original paint job has some spots, but they are telling storys of the frame. There are not that much parts out of 1996 on that bike. Only the drivetrain can be changed, but I love the XTR900, I don´t like the 950 that much. The bike is not 100% time correct, but I give a sh*t on it :LOL: I like to build my bikes as I would in the 90s :D Blig bling

Minifreak":27as2lrj said:
Sweet ride buddy, that is one beautiful bike, hope it'll get ridden and muddy :)

For sure it´s get ridden dude, it´s not a wall hanger. But not by rain or on ways with a lot of gravel or grit. I don´t want to ruine the paint job (so it´s not getting muddy :p ). Here I was on tour with my son (I changed some parts on the Vertex after that ride)

Lhatch4":27as2lrj said:
Nice! I like everything about that build. From the hydraulic brakes to the clear grips and race face parts, it's all great. I swear, just when I think I see the most amazing retro another one pops up.

Thanks :oops: , it was not easy to find the Maguras in that color. As you can see above, I like the old hydraulic brakes. I thought a lot about grips. But the nice looking Race Face handle bar has to been see, so the clear grips.

Re:

Wow, that's lovely!

Welcome to the forum!

Id like a TO at some point

Mike

Re:

redzephyr":3f1xud9t said:
Looks great, love your work.

Mike Muz 67":3f1xud9t said:
Wow, that's lovely!

Welcome to the forum!

Id like a TO at some point

Mike

Thanks, the TO is fantastic an light wieght bike. And thanks for the welcome!

al-onestare":3f1xud9t said:
That is spot on. It looks rapid, it looks super agile. How does it ride?

It rides, let me say, a bit painful :LOL: It´s like a strechbank :D It´s a fantastic race bike at all. Light, agile, fast and direct. But the frame is long. Sometimes my back hurts, but it is worth it :mrgreen:

Back