1989 Raleigh Avanti 531 Restoration FINISHED page 3

street

Retro Guru
A bit of a unicorn for me, this one.
Growing up in Nottingham I've had a lot to do with Raleigh in one way or another since I got into cycling.
My first MTB was a Marauder, my brother had the Mustang. I've had a Raleigh of some description almost continuously since that day, I've realised. Everyone around here rode a Raleigh pretty much, before the name was soiled. I worked at a Raleigh dealership for a time, too.
The Avanti was before my time of working at Raleigh but I do remember as a kid seeing it in the showroom and giving a cheeky squeeze of the brake levers. It was an understated and classy machine. High spec and a price tag out of my reach. I haven't always coveted it like we do a lot of our unicorns but to me now there's something cool about obtaining a bike from the top of a range I am so familiar with.

Lately I'd been looking for an early MTB fairly seriously. I quite fancied something 80s or even late 70s with bullmoose bars and 15 speed. But really I wasn't sure what I was after. But then this little number popped up for sale very locally and I knew I had to have it:

A rare sight these days because they're so often pillaged for their XT components, but I bought this example from the widow of the original owner who was a keen cyclist by all accounts.

It clearly lived an active life throughout the glory years, picking up a few stickers and a pair of Onza bar ends along the way. It also has a nifty little pump attached and a saddle bag containing a tool kit and a spare inner tube so this old girl was prepared for a lot more than a quick trip to the local park. Clearly it has seen some adventures.

My favorite part of these earlier MTBs is the wide rims so i was pleased to see this Avanti still has them fitted, along with a pair of chainstay-tickling Specialized Team Controls.

So, the plan.
I want to simply be able to swing a leg over this one and hit the trails. So first I'll take all the accesories off so I can see what I'm looking at. Then it will be a deep clean to assess the condition of the paint and components (although at this stage it all looks pretty good). I like the tyres but rather like amber walled tyres on this vintage of bike.
I think I'll be losing the bar ends and also the MBUK stickers. Thoughts?

Re:

Thanks! I'm really pleased with it so far.
If anyone knows more details about this particular model I'd like to know a few things:
1) What saddle and tyres would have been factory spec?
2) Is this frame the same as the Team frames of the same era?

I've got to source a pair of grips for it too as these have been cut down for fitment of bar ends. If anyone has a pair I'd be interested!

Re: 1989? Raleigh Avanti 531 (xmas present to myself)

".... I knew I had to have it...." very understandable and right! It's very very nice! Raleighs all too often dismissed in favour of over-hyped and over-priced exotica.

Hope we see photos of resurrected version.

Re:

Cool, I occasionally have a look on the Auction Watch section for one of these but they never come up. If you decide you want to replace the decals I redrew the ones for my 89 Appalachian (see build thread link in my signature) and got Harry Lloyd cycles to print them so they should have them on file. With a bit of tweaking you'd have the Avanti decals sorted :D

Looking forward to updates.

Re: Re:

street":uadl3dwj said:
Thanks! I'm really pleased with it so far.
If anyone knows more details about this particular model I'd like to know a few things:
1) What saddle and tyres would have been factory spec?
2) Is this frame the same as the Team frames of the same era?

I've got to source a pair of grips for it too as these have been cut down for fitment of bar ends. If anyone has a pair I'd be interested!

The Tyres were Panaracer Timbuk ii and saddle was an Iscasselle model.
You'll get the detailed spec in the catalogue in the archive section, link below:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 9.pdf.html

Aside - a lower league but I today picked up a 1990 Mirage (501 main tubes) in pretty much as new condition for the princely sum of 35 quid!

Thanks all!

DynaCol- That's a great tip off on the decals, thanks. I would quite like to have it pristine again, these decals aren't too bad at all but could be better.
Timbuk IIs may have to wait! I quite like the look of the Specialized for now anyway. And the saddle will be something I will idly keep an eye out for.

Narcotitlan- Cool! Do you have one yourself? I'll sort some better pics of this one once I get cracking on it.

oldave- I fondly remember the Mirage, an as-new one is a very nice find indeed. Bargain!

Back