Raleigh Maverick 86 Suntour Bullhorn

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
Why do we do it to ourselves? I'm really busy, I need to sell not buy, it's not as if I have a gap for a bike like this. But... I kept going back and looking at it. It's the earliest I've owned. It was cheap.

Apparently this is the good one. Not THE good one (the 531 "champagne" one). But the good one aside from that.

The seller was the original owner and said it's all original except the saddle but including the tyres. Though I'm a little doubtful about the rear wheel as it's 5 speed and the spokes are rusty while this one (viewtopic.php?t=29112) is 6 speed and looks otherwise identical. If anyone can shed any light... (edit: actually the Bullhorns look different)

There's also this one which was 18 speed viewtopic.php?f=4&t=341575&p=2637345#p2637345

I had to lock it up and was in a hurry so didn't study it carefully. I seem to remember the rear wheel being araya, didn't check the front.

Dunno what I'm gonna do with it. I could use the pedals and the parts should be worth a bit. But it'd be a shame to split it. I'll keep it for a bit and see how I feel.

It just had that "rescue me" look. I'll get some better photos up when I can.

Edit: not actually bullhorn I guess as not one piece but looks a bit like it!

I love old raleighs and would trade for this in a heartbeat......... British bred Klunk at it's almost best...

Love it. I built my Maverick (your first link) from parts from a Muddy Fox from the same period. The bike is actually 84/85 rather than 86. The Muddy Fox which was the first Muddy Fox in the UK (a S.E.James badged Monarch) was in fact the same frame as your Raleigh just badged as a MF and I seem to recall that early Specialized's also used the frame. It's a very heavy Hi-Ten frame made in the far east which I guess was supplied to manufacturers keen to capitalise on the new mountain biking 'fad'.

Not too sure what the bike was originally equipped with as I got mine NOS frame only but it's highly likely that it was Suntour/Dia Compe.

Re:

Thanks guys :D

Agentorange where do you get 84? I saw people posted 85/6 on your post and you seemed to accept that, did you check the serial? I need to do that, forgot today.

Here it is cleaned up:

Re: Re:

jaypee":2cn2y8ke said:
Thanks guys :D

Agentorange where do you get 84? I saw people posted 85/6 on your post and you seemed to accept that, did you check the serial? I need to do that, forgot today.

Then I'm mistaken, apologies, it's been a while, I always had it in my mind that it was 84.

Re:

No need to apologise, it's the best info available. I'll check my serial when I get a chance, under the bb I'm guessing? Did you check yours?

Re: Re:

jaypee":l0yg94fj said:
No need to apologise, it's the best info available. I'll check my serial when I get a chance, under the bb I'm guessing? Did you check yours?

Sadly not but I still have the high-res pics I took when I sold it so I'll have a look.

Back