1990 trek 8500

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
:facepalm: another project................. :roll: retrobike eh, not addictive they said :LOL:

soooooooooooo, outed on gumtree here and thanks to Sir Mike of daaaawn saaaaath doing a stirling job checking out, buying, collecting and sending me the bike i now hoave another 80s mtb :cool:

collected from the P:O at lunchtime, took it to work and assembled it i the staffroom to get the general jist of it.......

love it, been singing new old bike day all afternoon at work :facepalm: the headtubes a bit shy in height but the rest fits lovely so i'll either get over it or just on with it :) the flexstem is okay, needs a new elastomer and i may just lift it a tad for the sake of my back. chuffed its nearly all original but i can get over new/shit tyres being fitted, a USE suspension post :cool: ,nice saddle and the girvin being the only obvious upgrades. it even has the OE pads!!!

plans are to:

strip it
clean it
restore/refirb tired bits like the post and stem
new cables, maybe outers, tyres and a service
find matching rims or fit the m231/lx wheels of the rockhopper and build some wheels at a later date .....
rebuild it
ride it

i do however have some rc35k's that i want to fit, i have a lovely threaded steerer but i now realise the trek as a 1" headset and my spares are 1 1/8 :( (anyone have a spare to sell/swap?)

daisy approves, but ssshhhhhhhhhh dont tell mummy ive another new bike ;)

gonna see how the pedals restore and possible fit toe clips and straps for real retroness..............or powergrips if i can find some :roll:

looks like the rear of the house wont get repointed next month, far too busy now :mrgreen:

Re:

1"? :facepalm:

My bad, sorry mate! :roll:

I am starting to regret passing it on already! :LOL: :LOL:

Re: 1989 trek 8500

DICKO10":d1ylorxq said:
Jealous :-(

Hey Carl,

I've seen a few larger 'Dales on eBay recently ;)

I got to have steel, maybe a P7 if one came up in man size! :LOL:

Re:

Seems like a lot of people here had one!

Why no longer though? What am I missing?

Re: 1989 trek 8500

small update

completely stripped and frame, TRF'd, washed, de stickered of owt not standard and quickly polished with cheap spray polish.

amazing splatter

xt bb, headset and cable guide cleaned

the posts shims a tad small for my liking so ordered another that should be safer and a bit tighter

hoping to assemble frame, forks,bb and headset later......

Back