Dean Titanium '91 - My daughter her second retro bike

Defiant

Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
a few months back I was looking for a nice bike for my daughter Kirsten (10)
We ended up buying a Alpinestars T24, which is a great bike, she loves it.
That bike was in a decent condition but not what we want,.. we ordered a decal set and we are getting the bike ready for a groundup restoration.

For the meantime i bought a Dean Titanium in a size small so she still can ride during the restoration.

The frame is in a amazing condition
Only some of the decals are off but there is no scratch found

We received the frame on Friday and because we wanted to visit the dutch mountainbike museum on sunday (and make our regular ride there through the great area) i had to build it up with the parts available.

I thought it would take the spare 27.0 Dean Titanium seat post I had laying around but we needed a 27.2 instead . luckily for Kirsten i received a Syncros Titanium in that size on Saturday for the Klein Dolomiti ,.. which is now in the Dean,..

things we want to change are the XT Thumbies (i bought a set that turned out to be 2 left shifters) so for now it is using to different shifters. I want to find some nice levers ,.. and kirsten would like some blue Ringle parts
Other things to do ,.. might want to replace the fork with a lower one or even a rigid fork (Syncros) , replace the stem for something nice but could not find anything that short.
And the wheelset is going to be Chris King or Tune

For some reason, i think because of the suspension fork, the bike looks bigger then it really is. Kirsten her Dean is a Small 15" frame,.. my Dean is a 18.5" ,..

Re:

Lucky her - great to be able to share interests with the kids.

Rather jealous of all the Dean business - they just look so right. White tyres really work too.

Re:

:cool: , awesome: she's a lucky girl indeed..!

And great to see that she is trying to get those flashy shiny tyres dirty right away ;) !

thanks guys,

yes it is great to share the passion with Kirsten. She really loves to go to Arnhem every other week to hang out at the Mountainbike Museum and do our regular offroad trail
And she is getting better every week,..

We started out with gripshift on her first bike, on the Alpinestars we used STI's but moving to the big blade was to hard for her thumbs so for this Dean i tried thumbies and that works great,.. and is period correct ;)

And yes,.. for some reason the white tyres work,.. was her choice. I now found a white stem and will buy some white grips to complete the set ;)

oh my! your daughter is LUCKY to have a dad like you!!!

and yes, her bike looks as big, if not bigger than yours! :?

RockiMtn":29uhs7vc said:
oh my! your daughter is LUCKY to have a dad like you!!!

I am lucky to have a daughter like her ;)

It is smaller, way smaller,. especially the top tube length .
52cm against 57cm, with that short stem it feels extremely short when i sit on her bike.
She want to try her Dean in 2 weeks with a rigid fork so i will put a Syncros fork in, see how that goes.

Re:

I feel exactly the same way about my daughter :D

She climbed up a 30 ft wall for the first time ever this weekend ( never tried climbing like that before. Ok I yelled at her a bit :LOL: I was so proud of her :mrgreen: We sat in Starbucks watching about 50 other kids many older than her and most abandoned at the first or second climb level ! One of her female class teachers was watching in the crowd and came over to give me a bit of a telling off. They don't get it do they ? :LOL: She's so proud of herself too. Kids should be encouraged to have fun, go crazy etc like we did ;)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 947
A great project for Kirsten, Bas! I know she'll specify some great parts and you'll fit them. It'll be a cool little DEAN :cool:

However I'm more interested in seeing the T-24 rebuilt! :D (y)

Back