Raleigh Max

skov

Retro Newbie
Here's my brace of Raleigh Max's:

w1Bv3gl-VlrfvivoDG5WfblnzLeOSguzvU-R1UjnbmYlYtj_es0Lxw_Nkz006svlk4dlnp0k5b0yMpMxO7X0re4qGpNO_BuTmHZXtZeHufXixI2sWcPYMslxLl50NHQbiVHZOHn6mt98083gu_W7amR-Kb52-ypprXfbEGMCtT863KfC2qFgD2aDdeE4x-9nuMv3ZLjAb6-3njIim9pE0jFYgMG6p4LTXKiIymz4EDmi2j59YVQnI_2Op_gA3wYK-cFmpv4hAP6swMlSv8yqx0cLYuzjDb8kp96owOvsW2xKCw6wrb-5tBZc43eVPmopmqfOMHuZ7yhtcQx-bShUvgq9uuMdA8SxovWksoXpbwBUKjcnmEeZ42992x-9XVKMKzVjIHyCSoTVZ9dirQCX6Imh3TtV3-R1VZQGVJSunk4k14Cv8B6bRJRvIQplLkJuISIYgVpjERxhDnKFQDTnqjMJQSaqXBgJTR2PuCWPF1aFjE30VK0jaMekbCQomgto82mKiMxB9smHDLnInoUbbDyFAp7OXaM8EPlSsZJTZL6kSQD1MQB9rdqngORsh7pz6IZemjF7LE8aDHU5pARqLrWAJ84JxOvR=w971-h545-no

The Red one was given to me by my sister a decade or so ago, and the Yellow one I bought for £20 on a bit of a whim recently.

The stickers on both say Raleigh Max Cro/mo 1, 21-speed, however there appear to be quite a few differences between them.
A lot of the components are different, but the frames also differ (rear triangles, and cable routing).

Anyone know anything about them?

Re:

The red one looks like a cromo 1 from around 94. The yellow one is newer, not sure of the year.

I have a cromo 2 from the same year as the red one.

Thanks for that, just been looking at your Max and it does look very similar to my red one. I could easily believe they're from the same year.
Any idea what the differences are between the I, II, and III versions?

There wasn't a III version in 94 I don't believe. There was a Cromo I & II and an Alu I & II.

I think the differences were purely in the component specs:

The II has Alivio front Mech, STX rear, Alivio hubs and bar ends,
The I has Alivio front and rear mech and Altus hubs and brakes. the grip shift was different too.

This is part of the brochure, its the only page I have and it doesn't have the Cromo I on it, sorry:

I've just finished mine, took me ages. Its not a faithful restoration, rather a case of getting the bike running again, with a few upgrades. Im very happy with it, and plan on using it for the commute. Its not a great pic, but I'll post more on my original thread once I get the chance.

Attachments

• raleigh1 001.jpg
    raleigh1 001.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 1,989
  • IMG_5937 (1).jpg
    IMG_5937 (1).jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 1,981
Yellow one's a 1997 iirc. I used to have one identical - it rode great, but it was knackered mechanically. Driveline locked up on me one day and it threw me off - went on to better things and bought a '92 Fire Mountain.

They're nice starter rigids but you won't get much love for them here, I don't think :(

I think have a pair of those Raleigh Special Products barends lying about from it - not in the best condition but they weigh next to nothing.
I'll give them someone for karma if anyone's interested.

The red one with the STX RC and gripshift was a hoot to ride with that massive cro-mo tubing!

$_1.JPG

And heres another mad one

file.php

Back