Spring Project #1: 14.5" Zaskar LE - FINISHED!

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Even stripped down its not exactly a mystery...

I have been accumulating parts over the past few months. Various forum members have helped out with my quest to find a frame but in the end it was ebay which came up trumps. Twice, as it happens!

So when the weather pics up its outside with the polishing kit and try to even out the finish a bit. New decals are in the box ready to go, along with a load of choice parts. Its not going to be a strictly retro reproduction job, some of the parts will be more modern to make it more usable, by which I mean less likely to be expensive to break! I have a couple of fork options so will see how they look as the build progresses, and I'm yet to decide what brakes to go for; yellow magura, red magura, or discs (don't shout!) since the dropout has been modified to take a disc mount.

More to follow, kettles just boiled.

Attachments

• zas1.jpg
    zas1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4,001
Re: Spring Project #1

Made a start! Been busy elsewhere so this little beasty is still bare metal sat in the shed waiting for a couple more spare hours with the polishing wheel. Hopefully mr Gil can sort me some nice decals and I can get building. I really want to get this one rolling so hoping to get out there this weekend but spring project #2 is just about to kick off too.

Hope to get some updates soon!

Attachments

• zaskar pol1.jpg
    zaskar pol1.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 3,882
Re: Spring Project #1: 14.5" Zaskar LE

Next level of polishing has begun, bit more to do before final finish. Decals ordered from Gil so hopefully get this going soon

Attachments

• tmp_4024-2016-07-10 16.33.211759156970.jpg
    tmp_4024-2016-07-10 16.33.211759156970.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 3,710
  • tmp_4024-2016-07-10 16.39.28-715636291.jpg
    tmp_4024-2016-07-10 16.39.28-715636291.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 3,710

I know I'm gonna love this as I have a real soft spot for tiny GTs!

Ditto the above on the polishing info please.

:cool:

Polishing kit is a basic lot from ebay. Cost about £15 iirc, this sort of thing: 291465774826. Mine has 4 wheels I think and 3 compounds, I can't quite remember exactly but I think they are mizurna or something like that.

Seatpost in frame, clamp it in a bench vice, polishing wheel in the cordless drill and off you go starting with the rougher compound and working up to the finishing polish. Low speed, not too much pressure, and keeping the wheel moving. Nooks and crannies are a right pain, and with a triple triangle frame there are plenty of them so I used the dremel thing with a smaller polishing wheel for that. Seatpost in vice works a treat as you can spin the frame easily while working. Keep going with each compound until you see no further improvement then move on to the next. In my case, keep going until the battery dies in the drill, then decide whether it's time to move on. I think I gave the first compound two goes, then each of the later ones have had one battery's worth. Not counted but guess the battery lasts about 30 - 40 minutes.

Lessons so far:

The smallest scratch stands out when you polish. Using a stronger abrasive perhaps wet/dry or wirewool to work these out before polishing might be worthwhile for the perfectionist but I guess very time consuming.

Little and often, as in the rubbing compound. It really doesn't need much and too much just leaves black waxy marks.

Thoroughly degrease before starting. I mean get it spotlessly clean. I missed a bit and it took ages to clean up afterwards.

Anyone with tips on final finish shout now. I'm thinking that once the finish is where it needs to be in terms of shine I need to clean the polish residue (how, any ideas?), attach stickers, and then I have some poorboys wax to seal it all in.

Quick trip to see drystonepaul this afternoon and the bb was eventually persuaded to move, quite a bit of dry cack in there so he gave it a scrape out and chased the threads for me too, top man. So one step closer. Now just need.....

Final spit and polish
Clean down
Apply decals
Wax
Build
Admire

signing in for this one too. also a big fan of small GTs

Back