1994 Rhygin Ra

stumpjumper1990

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
After years of searching I have finally found myself a Rhygin in the colours of my dreams: Rasta!

It showed up on ebay.com in my size (well.... allmost... I have ridden 19" before). Bought it and now I'm waiting for it to arrive in the Netherlands... Could take some time, but here are some pics of it from the seller!

It has a mix of older and newer parts. So I will rebuild it completely. Thinking about the build at the moment! Not sure of the year it was build. The seller thought it is from 1999, but I doubt it. Think it's earlier. Will try to determine it when I get it.

Will try to use this thread also for all information on Rhygin I can find in my search. There is some info on the internet, but not enough and on multiple sites. There are some threads on MTBR with some guys who know their Rhygin's!

Can't wait to get it here!!

Update:
The bike arrived in the Netherlands and after several chats with other Rhygin owners and checking all data, I think this is a 1994 Rhygin Team Custom like the one BIKE Magazine tested in 1994. The colour scheme is the same. And the same as some other Rhygin's I know of which are from 1994.
According to the seller the drivetrain is original on this bike. After stripping the bike the date stamps on the cranks are RI and RJ which indicate they were produced in september and october of 1993.
The bike doesn't have a serialnumber. Just like the one I know of which was purchased new by the original owner in 1994.
I know; it's not exact science, but all considered I call it a 1994 Rhygin!

Now about the name. The early Rhygin's were called Ra and after some years they were renamed as Juke. Hard to find any information on the exact date this happened. Love to chat with Christian Jones about that. In the article below from 1994, the bike is called a Team Custom. Probably because it was meant to be for their race team. I think all his bikes were custom made. So I'll stick with the name Ra for now. I'm willing to be corrected though.

Enough of the history of the bike. It's now time to start thinking of the future of it. Let's start building!

720.jpg

720.jpg

More information on Rhygin: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t ... ght=Rhygin

720.jpg

720.jpg

720.jpg

720.jpg

720.jpg

720.jpg

720.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: 199? Rhygin

That's a beaut! I remember seeing one of these at Iconoclassic last year - first time I'd ever seen one aside from pics in a magazine.

:cool:

regan_ev":3h960p9a said:
That's a beaut! I remember seeing one of these at Iconoclassic last year - first time I'd ever seen one aside from pics in a magazine.

:cool:

Yep!

The one from Iconoclassic is from BoyBurning. It's a beauty!
Don't think there are too many Rhygin's on this side of the pond...

Never seen one before but I like what I see!
I guess it is older than 99 with the canti hanger.
Nice brakes too.

Looks great, I was wondering when or if you were going to do a build thread for this.
I had never heard of them but after reading the magazine article on them you posted on another thread I wanted to know more.

'96 at the latest and I'd gamble it's pretty close to then. What a gorgeous thing it is, looking forward to seeing it progress :cool:

Back