2000 Carrera Hellcat Full Suspension in Orange

jd88

Retro Newbie
I have a 2000/1 Carrera Hellcat with a merida design frame, full suspension bike from dreaded Halfords. Back then I wanted a full suspension bike with disc brakes and quick release wheels and seat, this fitted the bill and at £650 as it was end of line it was a bargain. Since then I have recently begun doing 25 miles return trip on the Basingstoke canal, most parts were orginal, but slowly everthing has been replaced and I probably should have bought a new bike, most bike shops look at you and say, why not by this new £1000 + bike! It has a square taper BB and I wondered if anyone had attempted changing this to Hollowtech II and whether it is possible or even worth it? Just wanted more options particularly as I am trashing the drive train in the current climate, I thought a stronger drive train might help, can anyone advise?

New drive train is a new drive train. New bb axle type means new cranks which means new rings so chain and cassette too so it doesn't skip about. Some investment but easy to do and off thd shelf parts.

Question. Why change? if it's all knackered then fair enough but wouldn't change just for the sake of it, what's the benefit?

Re:

Actually it does all need replacing, so thought now might be good time, the chainrings and cassette have all worn after 2000 miles of heavy use in a very gritty environment, as there are limited options for a square taper chainrings I thought a change of bb might be the answer to having more choice, and hopefully a stronger drivetrain.

in that case the world is your mollusc or crustacean of choice. budget is the next question i suppose, all new drivetrain of at least half decent spec you are looking north £200. That said if you are not a weight-weenie or a label tart you can get a decent kit (deore sort of level) for not much that will run for miles.

Should be able to get a modern bb into the same hole as the square taper bb, the rest is easy after that. And yes, the modern stuff is generally better than the older stuff, so worth making the change (i think so anyway).

Re:

OK thanks it is with my lbs at the moment (they are the only ones who don't snear at a carrera!) It may not be the best, but had done me proud for the last 15 years and around 12,000 miles (mostly on the original kit), I'll see what they come up with as they are looking at options where I will at least be able to change a ring rather than the whole crank each time something wears. I'm hoping to be able to do it myself from then on as I think I'll trash a few drive trains putting on 125 miles xc a week. Happy with deore as I'm too old and (fortunately) missed the my bikes lighter than yours era!

Back