1995 Crestone Peak VO2 Max Extreme

Egghead

Dirt Disciple
Trawling through the local auction site, I spied this bike, asked a question about the size then forgot about it. It didn't sell so I got a fixed offer, thought what the hell and now I am the proud owner of a 1995 Crestone Peak VO2 Max Extreme:

There does not seem to be much info around regarding this brand so any knowledge would be welcome.
BikePedia has a Crestone Peak range for 1995 only, including this one which apparently retailed for US$1875, which seems a lot when compared to others with similar specs:
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... ax+Extreme

Mombat has some 1994 catalog scans and some images of one of the 1994 full sus bikes with crazy rubber band suspension:
http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Crestone.html

A search on here gives 2 whole hits...

Anyway, it has a 7005 aluminium frame which is pretty chunky, especially at the base of the down tube. Box stays, nice looking drop outs. 3rd set of bottle bosses under the down tube. XT drive train, Grip Shift shifters, Tektro brakes. There are a couple of variations to the BikePedia entry: it does not have the Araya TM-810F rims listed but has the narrower RM-17 and has Tektro brakes rather then the XT brakes listed. The Tektro brake levers are correct though. The bars, stem and seatpost do not have any visible markings to id them but that should be possible when I have stripped it all down.

Plan is to strip down, clean, check frame for cracks, service the forks which seems to be in surprisingly good nick and reassemble with new cables, tyres, seat and chain if required. Then ride :D

Attachments

• 420902781.jpg
    420902781.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 697
  • 420903175.jpg
    420903175.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 699
  • 420903250.jpg
    420903250.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 699
Re:

Hi. Have fun with the new bike. Actually, there's some one on my local craigslist selling one of those dual suspension bikes with the rubber bands. Crestone Peak S.A.S. Pro 404 is the model. Been trying to sell it for awhile. Takes it off, re submits it with a slightly lower price a little while latter

Re:

Those box stays look rather nice, and the components seem to be relatively fresh. I'd say you got yourself a nice bike there!

Can't help with more info on the brand though...

Enjoy bringing it back to life!

Edited to add that the March 1995 issue of MBA should have test of this bike. I think I have that issue at home, so I could scan it if you like.

Re: Re:

PaintedDesert":3si2m5lh said:
Those box stays look rather nice, and the components seem to be relatively fresh. I'd say you got yourself a nice bike there!

Can't help with more info on the brand though...

Enjoy bringing it back to life!

Edited to add that the March 1995 issue of MBA should have test of this bike. I think I have that issue at home, so I could scan it if you like.

A scan of the test would be great thanks!
Now to find some time to work on it - I might have to treat myself to a day off work specifically for this purpose...

Here's a jpg of the scan. If you'd like the high-res pdf, send me a PM with your email address.

Attachments

• CrestonePeakVO2Max_page1.jpg
    CrestonePeakVO2Max_page1.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 541
  • CrestonePeakVO2Max_page2.jpg
    CrestonePeakVO2Max_page2.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 540
  • CrestonePeakVO2Max_page3.jpg
    CrestonePeakVO2Max_page3.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 540
  • CrestonePeakVO2Max_page4.jpg
    CrestonePeakVO2Max_page4.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 540
Cool, thanks for this.
Bit of a so-so review; stiff, race-like handling with a few component issues.
Might have to replace these if I find the same problems, although I don't think I will be hammering it as much as they probably did in the test.
PM sent.
Cheers, John

Back