FOES LTS 1995 BIG RED

JJW501

Dirt Disciple
I purchased a Foes LTS recently following a desire to do some social riding and maybe a couple of wheelies.

I am now 35 and wanted a Foes when I was a teenager. At the time I was working as a cleaner at a petrol station on the highway. I saved and saved for a Diamondback V-Link 3.0, which was not a bad bike at the time, but about 1/4 the price of exotics I would see at big race meets.

That bike was not bad, I got a few podiums and wins at state level races where long wheel travel was not a necessity. I actually had an advantage at the more sprint orientated races, so it all comes back to horses for courses.

So I was actually seeking an Intense M1 SL. Hard to find, but I came across the Foes LTS along the way and this was also a dream bike of mine.

After some emails with the seller assuring me this frame was in tip top shape, I made teh purchase and arranged for shipping from USA to Australia. The frame was bundled with a White Brothers DC110, which a friend of mine had on a HighZoot back in the '90's, sweet!

So a couple of weeks go by and a large carton arrives for me at work. Awesome. I leave it be, but by about 5:30pm it gets the best of me and I open it up to take a peak inside. All looks well, I wrap things up and eventually get home later that night.

I bust the frame and fork out of the box, all looks impressive!

DSCN0496_zpsn1f0ebln.jpg

DSCN0501_zps87ucsbtu.jpg

Jeffro

So I soon had a closer look at the goods.

Unfortunately, the seller had been pulling my leg quite a bit!

DSCN0560_zpsl5otwof7.jpg

The swingarm has previously cracked, been welded and cracked again. Dam!

I turned my attention to the forks. They are stuffed too.

DSCN0578_zpsqqpwyqd5.jpg

DSCN0580_zpsogxulwuv.jpg

What is wrong with these people?!

Jeffro

So after evaluating things, I have decided to push on.

Am chasing some frame repairers for some major intervention and have been able to locate some new fork stanchions.

Keeping all this in mind, I need to figure out exactly what I intend to do with this bike.

There is no doubt I want it to be rideable. The frame needs to be stong enough to handle spirited cross country and some downhill, but I have no intention of jumping houses. Also, I want the bike to be a pleasure to ride, so there will be some modernisation. New wheels, shifters, rear mech etc. No time for crazy priced second hand parts that are flogged.

The frame and fork setbacks pissed me off a bit, so I bought something to ride right now.

image_zps1tvk5aux.jpg

This is my first modern DH bike. Someone has spent some cash on this, CK headset and the works, all bearings replaced, suspension serviced, it is ready to ride. Couldn't be happier.

Jeffro

Re:

Time to build some wheels. I had a set of Mavic D521 wheels which I built back in the 90's. I still had them up until a few months ago when that bike got stolen, prompting the desire to build a new bike.

I could not track any D521's down, so elected to go for the modern equivalent, XT no-disc hubs and DT straight gauge 2mm spokes.

DSCN0588_zpssrk8mxwl.jpg

DSCN0592_zpsobrtydit.jpg

DSCN0594_zpsgohdlxnc.jpg

DSCN0595_zpsuvte289l.jpg

Jeffro

Tyres on.

DSCN0624_zpsgdzen8ir.jpg

Brakes turned up. There was only one choice.

DSCN0625_zpszfmq5q4x.jpg

I ran into an issue fitting the new headset. Frame is 37mm ID or 1 1/4 headset. After some investigation and weighing up options, I have elected to use a spacer for now rather than the CK Devolution option.

DSCN0631_zpsmhdroyls.jpg

Yes it is coming along nicely......

DSCN0642_zps93qxjd5r.jpg

Jeffro

Glad you found yourself a project, but what a disappointment with the crack and forks! :evil:
I don't understand how these people live with themselves. Ebay is always a bit of a gamble though unfortunately.

The build is coming along nicely, glad you're using Racelines! They look great with the red main-frame.

I had some trouble getting details on this bike. Here are some measurements FYI

Frame Dimensions 6061 T6
Seat Tube 19.5"
Top Tube 23"
Seat post 27.0
BB 68mm
Rear hub 135mm
Steering tube 113mm
Seat post outer 32mm
Rear shock mount spacing 22mm
Front shock mount spacing 23mm
Shock holes 6mm
Steerer ID 1 1/4 37mm
Shock Length 180-190mm
Shock Stroke 51mm

Jeffro

valve bouncer":1eppbalq said:
Well that's a big steaming pile. Name and shame mate!

Well I have not been on a revenge mission, but since you asked, it was ebay seller "heavenlynight" who still has some mtb items for sale now.

The return international shipping etc would have been expensive and I had used a third party to get the item to me, so no point trying to seek a refund via paypal.

I really like the frame, will get the swingarm repaired with an almighty gussett and keep an eye out for a replacement swingarm. A little research reveals this location to be common to fail, so not sure about my chances of finding one not cracked, but I have a design in mnd which will increase the strength significantly without impacting on the original styling.

It won't be concours but do you think visitors can casually walk past this thing in my garage?! It is already getting attention! :D

Jeffro

Latest posts

Back