3D Racing Zerox 1996

noka78

BoTM Winner
Ok Mates, now i throw 'fresh blood' in this vintage corner ;)

This year i got the chance to buy a rare suspension frame - made and released from the welder Chris Herting and his own company - 3D Racing - in 1996.

At the beginning in April

...the built up concept should be in fact with mostly silver parts but i got only black Ringle stuff - a Moby seat post 27.0 and a Zooka stem with 0°. The choice for a good saddle was difficult, but i found a very nice Avocet O2 which was very famous in the mid of the 90s

The main question was about the fork - which fork would be perfect for the Zerox with his special rear suspension. In the bike workshop of 1997 was it pictured with a white Manitou. Ok, it isn't the worst decision - but for me to much plastic with a non fitting crown.

The optic should be more like the aluminium seesaw rear suspension - hard edges, even more technical. My second choice was the Manitou ECF...but i didn't found one in a good condition. I like this fork and maybe sometimes i will try this one too, but with the 127mm CNC wide spaced machine hub...we will see!?

Ok, back to my other decision...
In the same time i get the possibility to buy a White Brothers fork with 70mm spring travel. The proportion of this fork fits perfectly to the massive Easton frame. The tubes and crown looks great and remind me on the Manitou 1-4.

For the head set i choose a Cane Creek S6 and for the brakes also - the CNC version Curve.

During the time of searching more parts i began with the cleaning and polishing the paint...before

and after (on the chain stay you can see the difference of the whites)

After two rounds i finished it with a thick film of wax.

Back to the parts - for the built up i wanted a touch of racing for this bike.I found old material of Critical Racing - there was also 3D Racing with Ivan Unkovskoy which was integrated in the team.

Ok, one more of racing...for the crank i chose my favorite - Cook Bros Racing - in the mid 90s comes the E-Type out. I love this crank and found a NOS set here on rbuk - it came with a spider of 130 and i swapped it first with a blue compact spider...

and later with a silver standard

I took also a silver big chain ring - with a Syncros 50t was the race look perfect - it reminds me on the old Downhill-MTBs...maybe like the DH-Version or Yeti with Paragon

...ok, for today the last info - i found a price list for 3D-Racing bikes from a german bike shop in Munich - called Zombie Cycles (the currency is still DM - not Euro)
- the Zerox wasn't listed

cheers Norman

Re:

Nice to see something different for a change.

Great write up Looking forward to seeing this come together :D

Re:

Wow!

What a great looking bike, good work.

al. :cool:

thanks guys :)

What happened in the next step was more than luck - i was searching a Sun Ringle or HED carbon wheel set...but i never seen a Sun Ringle set...and a HED in a good condition was normally impossible to get or wasn't affordable !

One weeks later i get a call from a good friend that he found in his near a HED set in a nice condition - and the price was a jackpot...sooo happy :p THANKS to Andre!
This message made my day - i couldn't wait to plug this wheels on the Zerox! This changed everything...

I like the look with these aggressive Tioga Psychos...

Re:

:cool: on the wheels

The second picture shows the transformation of the paint really well

To add my ha’porth. This last week "i got the chance to buy a rare" hardtail. A simple soul so please tell, am thinking of using a Crane Creek 40 headset. Will the top and bottom bearing cups simply tap-in to 96 Kula headtube?

I ask coz my bottom Tioga Alcemy's have gone berry autumnal!

Your views most welcome.

Sorry mate, but your question exceeds my knowledge…
why you dont want using a time correct headset ? my S6 is also a 1 1/8 - threadless ahead headset. Sometimes you'll find it on ebay as NOS.

Re:

Your build is looking great so far!
I remember the white/blue fades of 3D bikes, really nice combination. Good idea to go with black to compliment the paint.

Is that your Dagger I see in the background?

Back