Grisley Mega 20 rebuild project

Ibrakeforcake

Retro Newbie
So I managed to find this in a stack of frames at a local car boot sale. After handing over a crisp ten pound note I became the new owner and had to endure a barrage of "someone's nicked yer wheels mate!" gags until I finally made it home.

It's a bit grubby but what's there seems mostly original and intact. Cranks and mechs seem barely used and should polish up a treat. Both shifters had seized but I stripped the right hand one and gave it a blast of WD40 and it freed up lovely. I am hoping the left one will be the same. Bars, stem, forks and headset seem fine. There are quite a few chips to the paintwork but I'm planning on building this to ride so not too bothered about it. Components are Alivio so once it's up and running I may upgrade bit by bit. The tubes are HUGE so it should be pretty bombproof. I believe it to be a '95 model but feel free to correct me on this.

The seat rails are bent, seat clamp lever snapped and I think the wrong size seat post is fitted as it rattles in the frame. The clamp was tightly done up to try and compensate for this but I don't think it has damaged it (fingers crossed). .

So, time for a strip and scrub up. I have a set of exage hubs/ sun rims wheels which should fit nicely. I managed to grab a set of Rob Warner Base Jump pedals from the 'bay, which might be a bit full on but I always wanted a pair so they're going on! I will need to pick up a fork mounted canti hanger, front brakes, correct sized seat post , saddle, seat clamp, grips, tyres and cables. All easy stuff.

Hopefully it will be up and running to enjoy the tail end of summer. If not I'll just have to get a bit muddy! I'll keep you posted on the rebuild.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 601
Re:

So it's now in pieces and had a quick wipe over. The paint work is pretty tatty in places but the frame is solid with no cracks. There is a bit of rubbing from the rear tyre and there some chain suck marks but should be good to start putting back together. I might consider a re spray one day but it's fine for now.

The bottom bracket is a sealed unit with no play so it's staying put. The headset was bone dry but the bearing are in good condition. A bit of grease and that should be sorted.

I'll give the mechs and chainrings a good clean and refit, they are all straight with hardly any wear or play.

The exage hubs are not quite as nice as I thought so they will need a full strip and service. They feel pretty nasty so a new set of bearings might be in order.

Have dug a fairly modern set of Michelin tyres out which should do for now and also found a seat clamp to fit, although it is silver but at least it works. I will try to straighten the saddle rails and I'm pretty sure I have a chain and cassette knocking about too.

So, with brakes and pedals on their way I just need to pick up a canti hanger and get the seat tube measured up.

So, hopefully a quick and easy rebuild! I can't wait to get it up and running, I imagine it will be a rather stiff frame with those tubes! It'll not win any beauty contests but it's something a bit different.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 574
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 574
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 574
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg